Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alternative SPOD Switch locations

Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative SPOD Switch locations

I've looked on a few forums for different places to mount the switches the SPOD comes with and have only seen it done under the steering column. I'm really close to buying one but can't mount it where it's designed to go because of my tuffy cb console (if you've ever mounted one alone, you'll understand why it will remain there...). So does anybody out there have it somewhere else? Perhaps where the Rubicon locker and disco buttons go? Or on the daystar dashboard piece? Thanks to anybody that helps!

Also: If nothing else, could you provide the dimensions of the switches for the SPOD? I've thought about putting them on the front side of the arm rest.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't really help with the mounting solutions but the dimensions ( Left to Right or width just shy of 10 1/4 inches, 4 1/2 inches depth Front to Rear ).
Old 01-04-2015, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Okay, thanks, that still helps a ton! I'm just a click away from ordering but the switches are the main problem...
Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Just bought one with the mini bezel. I'll figure something out I guess and post it up for everyone else that has an overhead console.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interested to see what you come up with.

I imagine the front of the center console by the little net and coin holder.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't know where that is, I've got a 2008. I vaguely remember what you're talking about in my Ex's 2012 though. It's right next to the parking brake. Since I ordered the smaller switch panel, I hope it will fit and reach (May have to extend the wires.)
Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
I wouldn't know where that is, I've got a 2008. I vaguely remember what you're talking about in my Ex's 2012 though. It's right next to the parking brake. Since I ordered the smaller switch panel, I hope it will fit and reach (May have to extend the wires.)
I forgot to mention mine has the air gauge in the middle of the switches so if you just ordered the one without then the width will be smaller, i assume but have no idea. Hope this doesn't mess up any of your plans if you took measurements.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I forgot to mention mine has the air gauge in the middle of the switches so if you just ordered the one without then the width will be smaller, i assume but have no idea. Hope this doesn't mess up any of your plans if you took measurements.
Well, I only run a 15# tank so I had no need for the air gauge. I was going to get the full length one but found one much smaller made by them I want to try.

sPOD Mini Bezel Kit - SPOD-600-MINI-07

Just looking at it, it seems about 3" smaller. I was mostly worried about depth. Thank you, though
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the one with the gauge but I would think the side profile is the same. The back of the panel is shaped to fit around the header molding so in the center the depth is 2". Along the top it is 2.25" and along the bottom it is 2.75".

I looked around to see if I could find another location and there really aren't a lot of options. I wouldn't go under the steering column because I would be afraid of hitting it with my knees. I'm not sure you're supposed to engage your lockers at highway speed.

You could possibly mount it sideways on the a pillar with a little tweaking but it would cut down on visibility a little, depending on how tall you are and how high you keep your seat. It doesn't look bad if you keep it down low. Possibly on the dash in front of the steering wheel, if you make a back for it. And of course, since you're divorced the side of the center console on the passenger side.

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-05-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I have the one with the gauge but I would think the side profile is the same. The back of the panel is shaped to fit around the header molding so in the center the depth is 2". Along the top it is 2.25" and along the bottom it is 2.75". I looked around to see if I could find another location and there really aren't a lot of options. I wouldn't go under the steering column because I would be afraid of hitting it with my knees. I'm not sure you're supposed to engage your lockers at highway speed. You could possibly mount it sideways on the a pillar with a little tweaking but it would cut down on visibility a little, depending on how tall you are and how high you keep your seat. It doesn't look bad if you keep it down low. And of course, since you're divorced the side of the center console on the passenger side.
Maybe I could trim the bottom to make both 2.5" deep. It's hard to tell when you can't physically hold it in your hands (at least it is for me)!

I told my buddies the exact same thing about the steering column. Way too much can go wrong, "boy this road is dark. Let me hit my light bar.... Whoops" especially with a manual trans, there's too much movement down there to put switches.

I'm 6' and my seat doesn't adjust so the A pillar is an option. And I wasn't married (thank god), close but wasn't quite there! But it seems I've got a new shotgun rider and I'd like to keep switches away from her she was nervous and forgot to clutch from first to second on Saturday and I've never wanted to cry more than that.

I'm thinking right here if it isn't too long. I can cut the dash down to the tape measure's height and it seems deep enough
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1227858095.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	590706  

Quick Reply: Alternative SPOD Switch locations