Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alternative to MOPAR Sun Bonnet/Windjamer kit

Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to MOPAR Sun Bonnet/Windjamer kit

So I took the hard top off the new Jeep for the first time today and am now contemplating getting a bikini/Sun Bonnet for the summer months.
I got a quote from the dealer for the MOPAR Kit that includes everything which came to $944 (Canadian) or I could go for just the Sun Bonnet for $272.

What are peoples thoughts on this setup? Is there a good, comparable none MOPAR setup that people would recommend that are available up here in Canada?

I am really not wanting to spend $944 on this as there are other mod's that would better use that amount of cash.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by aratson
So I took the hard top off the new Jeep for the first time today and am now contemplating getting a bikini/Sun Bonnet for the summer months.
I got a quote from the dealer for the MOPAR Kit that includes everything which came to $944 (Canadian) or I could go for just the Sun Bonnet for $272...
I'm assuming the "everything" includes the door rails because you must not own a softtop. In that case, you can typically pick up a softtop for about $400-600 (U.S.) off this forum. Often these are still in original packaging because many Jeep buyers get dual tops, but only wanted the hardtop. That would seem to be a better deal than your $944 (Canadian) offer from the dealer. With the softtop, you can just remove the side windows and be somewhat close to the safari top and Windjammer (if you have a two door, I recommend the Wrap-around Windjammer, BTW). Some folks roll up and strap the sail panels, giving the softtop a pretty good look somewhat resembling the safari top. Then later, if you still want, you can add the safari top and Windjammer.

I do recommend the Mopar version of the safari top--there are cheaper alternatives out there, but none are as well-made and they suffer pretty bad flapping at highway speeds. There are also very cheap mesh tops such as the Spidershade that you might prefer. Have no personal experience with them, but had they existed when I bought my Sunbonnet, I might have opted for one of them.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I got a quote from the dealer for the MOPAR Kit that includes everything which came to $944 (Canadian) or I could go for just the Sun Bonnet for $272.

What are peoples thoughts on this setup? Is there a good, comparable none MOPAR setup that people would recommend that are available up here in Canada?

I am really not wanting to spend $944 on this as there are other mod's that would better use that amount of cash.
Have you considered a Spiderweb Shade? I just picked mine up after overwhelmingly good reviews here on the forum. Here's the place I bought mine for around $80 (with shipping and handling) from eBay.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

The spider web shade is just for sun protection right?

I was hopping for something that had a bit of rain protection just incase it started to dump on me. It happens, even I'm August at times out here in BC.

The idea of a complete soft top sparked the idea of Best Top's Trek Top NX as it can be a sun bonnet or full on top.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

hey aratson, what color is your jeep? I live in CR too, in willow point
Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cronker
hey aratson, what color is your jeep? I live in CR too, in willow point
It's a red 2 door. I also live out in Willow Point near the Rona hardware store. What are you driving?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

The spider web shade is just for sun protection right?

I was hopping for something that had a bit of rain protection just incase it started to dump on me. It happens, even I'm August at times out here in BC.

The idea of a complete soft top sparked the idea of Best Top's Trek Top NX as it can be a sun bonnet or full on top.
Hmm... I may be naive but wouldn't driving with your stock soft top up without rear-side and rear panels be as good as a bonnet/windjammer?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Hmm... I may be naive but wouldn't driving with your stock soft top up without rear-side and rear panels be as good as a bonnet/windjammer?
If I had a stock softy I probably would do just that.
I am equipped with the hard, Freedom top at the moment and am mainly looking for an alternative for the summer months with out breaking the bank on a MOPAR Sun Rider Soft top.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar only makes the sunbonnet. The duster and windjammer are made by bestop. You can use the duster and sunbonnet with out the door surrounds but I believe there will be a gap above the doors. I have the sunbonnet and duster and use them doorless.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

If I had a stock softy I probably would do just that.
I am equipped with the hard, Freedom top at the moment and am mainly looking for an alternative for the summer months with out breaking the bank on a MOPAR Sun Rider Soft top.
My bad . I always assumed the hard tops come with the soft top tucked underneath.

Quick Reply: Alternative to MOPAR Sun Bonnet/Windjamer kit