Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alternative approach to more flex

Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRD Coils

Be careful using soft coils on the CRD. We have found that some of the US coils made for the petrol engine cannot handle the weight of the CRD, even though some claim to handle the hemi weight. We have many examples of it here in Oz. in Oz our coil manufacturers generally meek a specific CRD coil with a higher spring rate, in the us, the seem to suggest using a 4" coil to gain a 3" lift, two different trains of thought. I have personally used two different US front coils on my CRD with OME shocks. I hit the bump stops so easily at slow speeds, entering driveways, speed bumps etc at like 10 km/h. Although when I used the mono tube styled shocks such as the Bilsteins, ths did not happen.
My point is - be careful using soft coils on thr CRD.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
long arms will NOT give you more flex, they will only help correct your suspension geometry IF you have a tall lift. i would not go this route as it would be costly and totally unnecessary. depending on how tall you are planning to go, i would recommend a different/softer set of coils run with better shocks. if you were in the US, i would recommend something like the evo mfg enforcer kit with bilstein 5100 shocks as it provided a much better ride than the ome kit i've run before too.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK. So the EVO will fix the waggy tail but is to soft for an CRD (the Diesel is about 100 kg's heavier, all in the front of course). The OME on the other end is to harsh for my taste. What other options do I have? 3" lift is enough, 4" is nice to have but would like to postpone the replacement the drive shaft of my next JKU a bit.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default CRD coils

I Do not know if the EVO coils will be to soft, but be careful. The guys in the is seem to like the OME coils on their patrols, so u would imagine they would be more comfy on the Crd's. Many people are using the 619's up front and the 618's in the rear. the 619's are called the heavy duty coils for the petrol, or the standard coils for the CRD with bar. The rear 618's are a constant 150kg, so if you don't have much of a load, they may be a bit firm. Also take note of the tyres load rating and pressure u run in them. Good place to start as you may change the coils for no gain.

Originally Posted by nkijkuit
OK. So the EVO will fix the waggy tail but is to soft for an CRD (the Diesel is about 100 kg's heavier, all in the front of course). The OME on the other end is to harsh for my taste. What other options do I have? 3" lift is enough, 4" is nice to have but would like to postpone the replacement the drive shaft of my next JKU a bit.

Last edited by AussieTom; 06-18-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cboggs
I was also looking at the EVO Enforcer and was wondering how much lift does the 35" tire option give? What about the 37" option?
ISame lift for 35s or 37s...you can run either. If you start with 35s you will need to change your bumpstops or run flat fenders if you move to 37s. I can't remember the exact number but I think I got a little more than 4" when I installed it.

Quick Reply: Alternative approach to more flex