Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alternative approach to more flex

Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative approach to more flex

I am currently driving a JKU with an OME 3" liftkit. Not to happy about the drive and since it is my DD this is relevant to me. Now I am thinking about a new JKU (or maybe just dreaming ;-) and considering another approach:

Since I live in the Netherlands (with very very few rocks), flex is more relevant to me than ground clearance as such. Suppose I use a long arm lift (more downward travel, right?) in combination with a very mild lift (maybe just a budget boost), larger tires and flat fenders. Would that work?

Being that the next JKU will be a diesel, which long arm lift do you recommend (diesels have a cross member on a nasty location, conflicting with most long arm lift kits).
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

long arms will NOT give you more flex, they will only help correct your suspension geometry IF you have a tall lift. i would not go this route as it would be costly and totally unnecessary. depending on how tall you are planning to go, i would recommend a different/softer set of coils run with better shocks. if you were in the US, i would recommend something like the evo mfg enforcer kit with bilstein 5100 shocks as it provided a much better ride than the ome kit i've run before too.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. That's clear. I will look into the EVO option. I am looking to 2.5-4" lift (I will wear off my current 33"s and than change them to 35"s). Since you have had both; how do they differ since this kit is about twice the price
Old 06-16-2012, 08:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nkijkuit
Thanks. That's clear. I will look into the EVO option. I am looking to 2.5-4" lift (I will wear off my current 33"s and than change them to 35"s). Since you have had both; how do they differ since this kit is about twice the price
the evo enforcer kit is definitely what i would recommend for your purposes. this use their plush ride coils and they are about as soft as they come and offer a much more comfortable ride on and off pavement. if you load up with a ton of gear like i do, your rear end will sag a bit but, that can be corrected with a set of 1" rear coil spacers. there is no need to get this kit with the king shocks as the bilsteins will do just fine. that will save you a lot of money right there. i would however get the front evo draglink flip kit to go with this as it will improve the handling of your jeep.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great info; just one more question: i tow a long camp trailer (8 meters, about 25 ft on your side of the pond??). The OME set has quiet some lateral movement which causes my camp trailer to wag it's tail. If the coils are even softer, will that worsen or are other ways to prevent that?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Great info; just one more question: i tow a long camp trailer (8 meters, about 25 ft on your side of the pond??). The OME set has quiet some lateral movement which causes my camp trailer to wag it's tail. If the coils are even softer, will that worsen or are other ways to prevent that?
yes, it will. if that's the case, i might install some air bags:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » AIR LIFT 1000 Air Springs Installation Write-Up

or, if you can afford it, i would get a set of coil overs like these:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ilable-236236/

with them, you really do get the best of both worlds.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EVO sytem relocates the rear track bar, to a Beter location . This is what you are feelng on your OLD KIT ,as what you described as "WAG". Not spring rate. the softer springs and Beter Quality shock and Correctet track bar locations ,Will give you the best ride.
Mel
Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also looking at the EVO Enforcer and was wondering how much lift does the 35" tire option give? What about the 37" option?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would that be the Rear Roll Center correction trackbar bracket? If so, than this alone would improve the ride? Saves me a lot of money ;-)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Evolution

The EVO sytem relocates the rear track bar, to a Beter location . This is what you are feelng on your OLD KIT ,as what you described as "WAG". Not spring rate. the softer springs and Beter Quality shock and Correctet track bar locations ,Will give you the best ride.
Mel
I stand corrected - thanks for chiming in Mel

Quick Reply: Alternative approach to more flex