Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alternate way to carry spare tire...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Won't work in the state I live in. Jersey is strict with a lot of stuff as it is, and being that the tire would block my rear view, I would get pulled over for sure.
i know jersey sucks, but really? I mean, what about uhaul rentals, a billion different pick up trucks/commercial vans, or any 18 wheeler?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I think it's a great idea. One of those things that's either gonna be awesome or really suck lol
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sneck
i know jersey sucks, but really? I mean, what about uhaul rentals, a billion different pick up trucks/commercial vans, or any 18 wheeler?
Dude, I totally agree with ALL the examples you gave - but they are commercial trucks, mine is a regular vehicle. I'd also stick out like a sore-thumb more than a U-Haul or 18 wheeler ya know? If I didn't have the slightest concern about getting shit from the fuzz, I'd already look into something like that previous pic/post.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by King_
My dad's boss has his spare mounted exactly like this on his CJ... I would think a kit could be made for a JK.

Obviously the JK is a little wider so the tire could actually fit down in the tub so that it doesn't obstruct rear view.

Attachment 272972

Found image on google, if you are the owner and want it removed please PM me and I will delete.
I was going to suggest something like what was posted but I see you are in NJ and that probabaly won't pass with local leo's there. I do like your idea of putting it in the tub and covering it with plywood. Good luck, keep us posted to see what you do.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
I was going to suggest something like what was posted but I see you are in NJ and that probabaly won't pass with local leo's there. I do like your idea of putting it in the tub and covering it with plywood. Good luck, keep us posted to see what you do.
Will do. It's too cold out nowadays here in Jersey, that project is for warmer weather. I will for sure update whatever approach I take.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Do you know of any write-up's off the top of your head for any DIY cargo area mods regarding something like this?
What about this?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Floor-Storage

Last edited by jeepersjeep; 02-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be a way to utilize the rear seat mounts.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just threw mine in the back of my 2dr, ratchet strapped the tires down to the rear seat mounts.

I wouldn't mind making a platform, but I have no tools or skills to do so ha.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by King_
My dad's boss has his spare mounted exactly like this on his CJ... I would think a kit could be made for a JK.

Obviously the JK is a little wider so the tire could actually fit down in the tub so that it doesn't obstruct rear view.

Attachment 272972

Found image on google, if you are the owner and want it removed please PM me and I will delete.
These are my fav tires....BA....if my jeep wasnt my DD.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Will definitely be following this one. Look forward to spending the $ on other stuff instead of rear tire carrier. Don't haul groceries that often so this would be a great solution for me as well .

Quick Reply: Alternate way to carry spare tire...