Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Almost killed myself, track bar mount cracked. Help!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I stated earlier, I have this same lift and so far haven't had any problems with mine but I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. It does appear that there has been some movement in the bracket and I wonder if this could have been your original noise? As far as the professional alignment, I did take mine in after the lift and all they did was increase my caster a little more positive and adjust my toe. He said my toe was off. Sorry, I don't remember which way, in or out.
Hope you get it taken care of.
P.S., How do you like the ride? Mine was a little stiff to start, but has lightened up some after putting some miles on it.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DBFunJK
The reason "some" manufactures make their control arms adjustable is to allow you to adjust your camber. They know that there are variations from jeep to jeep, and quite often changes in control arm length are needed to be made in order to put the vehicle in proper alignment.

When you here that someone has experienced the "death wobble", it is a camber issue.

DB
Adjustable control arms allow for re-centering the axles in the wheel well, setting pinion angle and caster. Not camber.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the damage to the bracket was a result of the DW. You have some other issue causing the DW. Do you have an extention bracket on the axel side? If not, thats fine when you install the adjustable bars. Get your caster checked. This is why I say get a lift with all the goodies, you may chase your tail and pocket book around for a long time...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

So got my track bar mount repaired last night. I was lucky enough to be introduced to a very experienced Jeep mechanic who happened to be a damn good welder as well.

He said that the relocation bracket that comes with the Rough Country 4" inch Lift Kit seems to be poorly designed. This kit should simply not be installed without an adjustable track bar and this option of a relocation bracket should not even be offered becuase it simply isn't safe.

The stress that the stock track bar causes when attached to this relocation bracket is way too much for the frame side factory mount to handle. The bolt that keeps the relocation bracket from moving from left to right puts stress on the mount where there was never intended to be any. Hence the crack and severe wobbles after only about 400 miles of driving with it installed.

Here is a pic of my re-inforced track bar mount and TeraFlex Adjustable Track Bar installed:

I know it was my mistake not installing an adjustable track bar when I did the lift, but I assumed that since the kit came with a relocation bracket, it could wait awhile. I was wrong. I strongly recommend anyone who runs this kit (because I have no experience with any other kits) that an adjustable track bar be installed when the kit is. Don't use this relocation bracket. This could happen to you.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it worked out. Looks like a good repair.

Quick Reply: Almost killed myself, track bar mount cracked. Help!