Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Almost killed myself, track bar mount cracked. Help!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see it now. Thanks.

Interesting. The majority of breakage you can find on this site is on the axle side...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

These relocation brackets make me nervous. Sorry you are having trouble with yours... i'm thinking that maybe these brackets should be welded on also in addition to just bolting them on. I can see where there could have been some play in it making it move side to side if a bolt was a little loose.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by riverzendz
I can see it now. Thanks.

Interesting. The majority of breakage you can find on this site is on the axle side...
So my question is...how much would a new mount (typically as this doesnt seem to be a large welding job) run to be re-welded to the frame? I'm going to buy myself an adjustable trac bar this week, and have to check with the dealer on the mount itself...

Anyone know if I would still need the relocation bracket with an adjustable track bar?

Last edited by RubiConVict; 08-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same lift, and the same thing happened to me aswell. I installed the lift myself, drove it around for a week or so then hit a bump on the highway and got the death wobbles. You really need to get an allignment after you install a lift (or at least this one anyways), its very important and I'm sure you can see why. I'm going to agree with DB here. The relocation bracket didnt cause this. Yes, it does act as a lever and can break a lot easier than the stock mounting point, but I'll almost guarantee you it cracked because of the death wobble; the added leverage only helped make the matter worse. Theres an important thing everyone seems to miss, the relocation bracket is there to correct your suspension geometry and the adjustable track bar is to re-center the axle (as I'm sure you noticed you had to pull the axle to the drivers side during the install). Now that you have all this play there from the crack, you get the wobbles easily at slow speeds. I'm hesitant to offer advice on how to fix it, you might have to cut the bracket off and order a new one and get it welded on. On the other hand, you could bend it back and weld it together which would be easier but get a second opinion. The key here is the alignment after the lift. When I got the death wobble on the highway I was lucky enough only to get some loose lugs. All I did was take it to an allignment shop and I've hit those speeds and higher with no problems at all. Make sure you retorque everything to specs aswell!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a poorly designed relocation bracket. It extends the pressure radius, but does not add any additional support to the factory bracket. You need to check with Teraflex or some of the other manufacturers and get a bracket that reinforces the factory mount.

By extending the length without extra support, it will almost always break at some point. The factory bracket cannot handle the extra leverage.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiConVict
I have no idea if this is the one they sell with thier 2 inch BB...this is the front drivers side...not the rear bracket.

better pic:

bad design is the issue
you can see the movement that occurred where the bolt mounts the paint is wrinkled
quick fix weld the bracket to the bracket to remove the movement of the bolt

best fix contact TF for a solution.

bolting shinny painted objects to gether is never a good idea always sand to metal and rough up, paint on paint = lubricant
metal on metal = friction and rust
weld metal on metal = no movement
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiConVict
So I was driving around today and suddenly my front tires start wobbling like mad, nearly lost control on the highway. Scared the bejesus out of me. My track bar mount is cracked, thats all I can see is wrong. See pic:

When I have my wife turn my steering wheel, the track bar is shifting from left to right bad, and thats what caused the mount to crack. The mount has become so weak it can barely hold the track bar in place...

I should mention its an 07 2door JK with a 4" inch Rough Country lift kit installed and 35" Mickey Thompsons...

I'm a super novice when it comes to Jeeps. This is my first JK and I love it to death, I had the 4"inch Rough Country lift installed cause of the write up I saw on this site, as well as some 35 MTZ's.

What the hell could have caused this? My wheels were straight and my steering was just about perfect too. I'm at a loss to even explain it. Shes undriveable now as the steering becomes way too wobbly to the point of being damn near dangerous. I know the dealer wont cover the fix as I'm sure my lift is the culprit. Anyone have any ideas why? How much would a new mount be to weld on as I'm sure a new one needs to be welded. Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated!!!!

the front when it breaks is not fun, adjustable is the way to go.....several months back i had the entire bracket rip off the axle, while in a u-turn, heard a pop like the axle was unloaded....got up to around 30mph hit a pot hole, the jeep was uncontrolable....i couldn't have imagined if i were going hwy speeds what would have happened......look around you local area and have a reputible welder fix your stock frame bracket..and reinforce it while he is at it.

and also look online for the reinforcement bracket for the bracket welded to the axle....or have the welder add some additional welds to the axle bracket to strengthen it.....

good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

"bolting shinny painted objects to gether is never a good idea always sand to metal and rough up, paint on paint = lubricant
metal on metal = friction and rust
weld metal on metal = no movement"

this might seem stupid but what if you sand down to bare metal the part of the relocation bracket that is going to make contact within the frame bracket and apply a "line-x" type rubber coating to it so it then would be similar to rubber to metal contact when the bracket is bolted up?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same problem with my lift. Uncontrollable steering wobble to the point that I needed to slam on the brakes for it to stop. I got an adj. front track bar and made sure my axle was dead center. Haven't had a problem since.

If you need to learn how to center your axle/ adjust your trackbar, Here's a great write-up. Anyone can do it.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Guys, I cant begin to thank you all for your input. I have a buddy who knows a great welder who will be reinforcing my bracket mount tomorrow. I'll also be getting an adjustable track bar, as well as taking it in for a professional allignment. Now that I've expereinced the "death wobble" I never want to go thru it again. I can honestly say that scared me shitless.

Quick Reply: Almost killed myself, track bar mount cracked. Help!