Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alloy USA axle U joints?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy USA axle U joints?

Will the ones w/ greaseable fittings fit a JK?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Anyone? I'm getting gears next week and figure I might as well swap the stock ones out for new ones now as opposed to paying for it later.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They will fit a non Rubicon But not a rubicon.

And IMHO they are not worth it.

David
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alloy won't have a front shaft to fit the Rubicon until the end of this month. As David pointed out to me, Mopar is the only one that makes the u-joint for the front Runicon axle shaft and the shafts are made in India. Apparantly, Alloy will have a joint for their shafts soon, but they are still made in a country that doesn't have the quality control that we have here. I went with the RCV shafts, but the Superior shaft is made in the USA and would have been my second choice.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

So let me get this straight... are you saying I cant replace just the axle u joints but I would have to replace the entire shaft assembly? I havent really looked into it a whole lot but someone pointed out to me the other day that while i'm getting gears installed next week I should look into replacing the axle u joints seeing as my axles are already dissambled.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

As per David at Northridge: Mopar is the only one that makes the u-joint for the Rubicon front d44. When looking at Alloy from another supplier, he couldn't get me a firm part number for the alloy shafts. After a couple hours of checking, he called back to tell me they would be available the end of the month. I think it was due to the joints. Either they are designing new ones or buying Mopars.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Well I have a Sahara so im not too concerned about whats available for a rubi and whats not at this point lol. I know of a place right now where I can get at least a dozen of the Alloy USA u-joints for my D30 if I want them. It seemed like a good idea to get them, from my research it sounds like the stock spicer u joints are pretty prone to failure due to the retaining clips and the Alloy's have full clips and are greaseable. Dave however says they arent worth it so now I dunno if im gonna bother or not, mine appear to fine I was just looking to get ahead of the game a little and replace them now. I'm pretty sure thats all there is to choose from on the market for me other than the spicer 5-760x joint.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, I was referring to the d44 front. For the hp30 in my ZJ, I installed the spicer 5-760 joints and then welded on the IRO "Almost Alloy" plates. Now, the caps can't come out even if the c-clips come out. You just have to be patient when welding them on so they don't get too warm and cook out the grease and damage the seals. I would do it again.

Quick Reply: Alloy USA axle U joints?