Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Allignment after Lift?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allignment after Lift?

Just installed a 2.5 RK stock mod on my jk, and I was wondering what type of shop is necessary for a proper alignment...will any alignment shop do the job with adjustable track bars and links, or do I need to get it done at an off road specific shop?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

If you installed the lift, you could probably do the alignment. Only items that can be set is toe-in, center the axle, set caster.

Check this out - Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Old 03-15-2016, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The stock mod does not come with front control arms, correct? Caster can not be adjusted with stock arms. (see what you think of the steering, consider adding some form of correction)

It does have an adj front trackbar? The front axle can be centered if not already done.

It does not have a rear trackbar bracket? That axle can not be centered. (consider adding this)

Camber is not adjustable without adding components. (unless something is bent, this should be fine)

The steering wheel can be centered. (5 minutes and a crescent wrench)

The toe in/out can be adjusted, if needed. (probably not needed)

Consider saving your money and using the writeup linked above. Or maybe call around and find a shop that does free checks, they just throw it on the rack and print the specs for you. Then post the specs and get opinions.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The stock mod does not come with front control arms, correct? Caster can not be adjusted with stock arms. (see what you think of the steering, consider adding some form of correction) It does have an adj front trackbar? The front axle can be centered if not already done. It does not have a rear trackbar bracket? That axle can not be centered. (consider adding this) Camber is not adjustable without adding components. (unless something is bent, this should be fine) The steering wheel can be centered. (5 minutes and a crescent wrench) The toe in/out can be adjusted, if needed. (probably not needed) Consider saving your money and using the writeup linked above. Or maybe call around and find a shop that does free checks, they just throw it on the rack and print the specs for you. Then post the specs and get opinions.
You are correct. It doesn't have arms, but I do have a rear tram ad bracket installed. I had it checked and said it was pretty off so I was hoping to get it perfect for a little while at least.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

My two cents is an alignment is only $60. It is nice to know the numbers. I have jspec lower fronts but they "forgot" to adjust them. My jeep drove horrible cuz of my caster being +6.5. After a lot of calling to builders they all pointed at that. I went back and forced them to redo it and get it to between 4.5 and 5. It drives like a brand new jeep now. $350 for the lower front arms = a perfect driving jeep.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busa250
My two cents is an alignment is only $60. It is nice to know the numbers. I have jspec lower fronts but they "forgot" to adjust them. My jeep drove horrible cuz of my caster being +6.5. After a lot of calling to builders they all pointed at that. I went back and forced them to redo it and get it to between 4.5 and 5. It drives like a brand new jeep now. $350 for the lower front arms = a perfect driving jeep.
You notice a drastic difference with the arms?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As you lift, the pinion tilts up, which automatically lowers the caster. As the caster goes down, the steering gets worse. (flighty is the usual word you will see).

To improve the steering, you get some form of correction. Cams, ca brackets, longer/shorter fixed arms, adj arms. Stock caster is a bit over 4 degrees. After a lift, and 'depending on height', caster could be down around 3 degrees. Most people try to get it back up in the 4-5 range. In his case, they put it up over 6, which makes the steering feel heavy. So he had them re-adjust the arms to bring it back down.

For you, drive it and see what you think of the steering before indiscriminately throwing parts at it...

And as I noted above, look at the few things a shop will actually adjust before you throw money at an alignment. Unless you buy more parts, they can't adjust the caster or the camber, and you can center the steering wheel and adjust the toe yourself in your driveway. A free check and a printout might be the better way to go.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tvan93
You notice a drastic difference with the arms?
yes, because my caster was so high my jeep was a road hog. The rude did not change much but the steering change was huge!!

Quick Reply: Allignment after Lift?