Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

All American gears/lockers?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All American gears/lockers?

So apparently my gears and bearings are shot. . . and I will probably installed a locker when I replace. It is well known that most of the major brands for gears are foreign (G2/Superior) or a crap-shoot (Yukon) and the only selectable locker choices I have seen are Eaton (weak?) and ARB [I do not want to deal with the Detroit noise/issue] Are there any reliable brands made in the good 'ole USA? With the exception of my ARB Diff cover I'm trying to keep everything homemade.

>> I'm running 5.13 and I looked at US Gears but they seem to carry 4.88 only? I reached out to them but no word back yet.

Thanks for the help/opinions.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eaton (Detroit), ARB, and Yukon are all sufficiently strong.

The gears Northridge4x4 sells are good also.

Last I knew, US Gear only made one ratio. The balance of all JK gears are made at the same plant in Korea and marketed under domestic manufacturer's brands.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Eaton (Detroit), ARB, and Yukon are all sufficiently strong.

The gears Northridge4x4 sells are good also.

Last I knew, US Gear only made one ratio. The balance of all JK gears are made at the same plant in Korea and marketed under domestic manufacturer's brands.
Yeah, thats my basic understanding as well. I am considering Eaton Elockers though i have heard they are weaker than the ARBs. The price along with the very rare possibility that i will play on rocks makes me think I will be OK.

As far as gears, i used to have G2 and will prob go with Yukon. . . But would love if there was an American alternative.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eaton makes a lot of electrical components in china. I'm not sure where they are making the lockers but I wouldn't be surprised if they were also made in China.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know talking to the honest gear guys, everything comes from the same factory currently and nothing is US made. Fact of life, most things aren't made in North America anymore lol

Quick Reply: All American gears/lockers?