Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment Woes after TF 2.5 lift

Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adjustments the guys are telling you to make really aren't that hard to make. If you can install the lift you can certainly make them yourself. Plus, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it just right.

As for the lights, I don't know how smart the JK is but I bet it knows the steering wheel is off. CM
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't get a picture of what it looks like for us. I know this is simple, but you are saying you can hardly turn. Are your swaybar links flipped down?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
You can't get a picture of what it looks like for us. I know this is simple, but you are saying you can hardly turn. Are your swaybar links flipped down?
I can post pictures in the AM. There is another JK in the family so I put them side by side and nothing looks out of whack from underneath.

It looks like the drag link have never been adjusted; which makes me believe the guy at the shop dropped the pitman arm and adjusted the steering wheel this way. Currently the wheel is visually centered but hits the end half a turn to the right, and 1.5 turns to the left...

I brought the carpenter level out and parked it on level ground to find it looks like the tracbar is actually still in good shape and the axle is pretty darn close to center.

I am taking the JK to a off-road place in Fayettville in the AM. Here is my current thinking of what needs to be done:

With the wheels straight, drop the pitman arm tie rod end. Rotate the steering wheel all the way in one direction and count the turns back to the other lock. Split the count and identify the steering wheel position. Adjust the drag link till the tie rod end goes in the arm without moving it. Readujst to perfection

Thanks again for all the support. The lift looks great and I can't wait to get it out of the "nascar" setting.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

A guy in town installed this lift and had some of the same issues. After sorting things out, his problems were attributed to how he installed the lift. First, he did not loosen the control arm bolts which helps remove the preload on the CA bushings. Second, he did not have the JK sitting on the tires when he tightened all the hardware. Third, he did not use a torque wrench. Also, if you have the AEV procal you're able to check the centering of the steering wheel.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Well after a couple of hours at the off-road shop it was discovered that the chain alignment store made quite a few "adjustments" that threw everything out of whack. Essentially if I had trusted my gut and just adjusted the drag link myself in the beginning I would have been okay.

Not all is lost, while they fixed the alignment the owner showed me a bunch of cool projects they were working on. When they were done they called the other place and got me a refund on their alignment.

Pretty excited, this is first significant mod I have ever undertaken.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you're up and running!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

well done dude.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congratulations. You saw it through to the end and got a refund from the first alignment too. That's great and the best part is you will love the lift.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pwain
Well after a couple of hours at the off-road shop it was discovered that the chain alignment store made quite a few "adjustments" that threw everything out of whack. Essentially if I had trusted my gut and just adjusted the drag link myself in the beginning I would have been okay.

Not all is lost, while they fixed the alignment the owner showed me a bunch of cool projects they were working on. When they were done they called the other place and got me a refund on their alignment.

Pretty excited, this is first significant mod I have ever undertaken.

I'm experiencing the same thing after having a lift installed by a local non-4x4 shop. What exactly did the shop do to fix the steering?

Quick Reply: Alignment Woes after TF 2.5 lift