Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment issues

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment issues

I bought a 2007 2 door Rubicon that took a soft roll. I finally got done fixing it and just bought some new 35/12.5/17. The wheels are pointed toward passenger side when steering wheel is straight. I have to go get it alignment but I was not sure if most places would know what they are doing if I have a 2" budget boost lift with 35 inch tires. Does anybody know if I can take it to any alignment shop to get it fixed or do I have to go to a specialty shop. Are there any recommendations on what degree to set caster with these mods? I read on these forums that I want 6-8 positive degree. Is that correct? Is there anything that needs to be set different than factory?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The link Toad posted is great, and will get you going in the right direction.

You say you have a budget boost. Did you add Cam Bolts? Adjustable Control Arms? If not, there is no way for you (or the shop) to adjust caster. The only thing they will do is straighten your steering wheel (5 minutes, loosen 2 bolts, twist until the wheel is straight, tighten bolts), and possibly your toe. Using that write-up, you can easily check both yourself.

The one thing that may talk you into paying for an alignment is just how bad that soft roll was. If you think you bent/tweaked any components, it may be worth the money to let a shop check it over. (if you do take it in, don't let them talk you into cams, get a set of adjustables if you want to set the caster. Or at least do some searches on here to educate yourself on the pro's/con's of cams first)

Factory caster is around 4.2. With the BB, you will probably want it higher, but 7-8 would be too high for that size lift. Try 5 and see how it drives, then go up to 6 and check handling again. If there is any driveline vibe, go back down a bit until you find that happy medium between handling and vibes that works for you.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-19-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the same lift, but I have OME 2" coils which net about 3" lift on my unlimited. I set my caster to just over 5 using TF front lower control arms and it drives great. The are currently about .5 off center to adjust for road crown and I am still pulling right slightly. I would recommend .75 to 1 degree difference left to adjust for the road crown.

Quick Reply: Alignment issues