Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment issue after ARB OME lift

Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alignment issue after ARB OME lift

I recently lifted my JK with the Old man Emu lift and increased the tires to 33's. It pulls to the right. I went to a well repected alignment shop and they told me the camber settings read L+3.5 and R+1.5. The caster is +1.0 left and right. i was tod by the shop that in order to get a good alignment i would need to install adjustable ball joints at he tune on 900.

I need some good advise
Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

so you know, jeeps have solid axles and so there should be no camber on your axle. having said that, bent axle C's are very common on JK's and this will give you a camber and a pull to one side or the other. installing offset ball joints is the way to fix it but if you don't gussett your axle C's up first, they will bend again. needless to say, i would recommend that you get a set of off road evolution C2 gussetts installed and then get your camber fixed.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FiremanHessey
I recently lifted my JK with the Old man Emu lift and increased the tires to 33's. It pulls to the right. I went to a well repected alignment shop and they told me the camber settings read L+3.5 and R+1.5. The caster is +1.0 left and right. i was tod by the shop that in order to get a good alignment i would need to install adjustable ball joints at he tune on 900.

I need some good advise
Cross the two front tires left to right and see what happens. According to those specs, it should have a drift to the left. You have a radial tire pull I bet. Camber is not adjustable on the Jeeps since they have a solid axle like Eddie said....but camber DOES have a spec. I don't know what it is off the top of my head. Cross those front tires. I bet it either quits pulling or pulls to the left afterwards.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-16-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

That caster is also way too low. Hope you have adj control arms or plan to get them soon. Specialty Products Company sell the offset ball joints you need. You can also try NAPA, but before that better get those Evo C2gussets like Eddie said. The tire pull may also be part of the problem, but first get your alignment to see if that fixes your problem. BTW, some companies recommend that your front lower control arm on the passenger side should be a 1/8" longer to compensate for a right drift due to the crown in the road, but thats totally up to you since some of the more experienced here on the forum disagree with that idea.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

If you do a 2.5 inch Teraflex BB do you have to adjust the caster?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shop Teacher
Nope. It shouldn't be necessary on a 2 1/2".
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM
JK-Forum Founder

no, you shouldn't have to and without adjustable control arms, you can't.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Calypso
Nope. It shouldn't be necessary on a 2 1/2".
Originally Posted by wayoflife
no, you shouldn't have to and without adjustable control arms, you can't.
OK, I agree, but isn't 1 degree of caster too low even for factory specs? Unless his alignment tech hasn't calibrated his machine in a while and there may be an error in his readings...I don't know...just trying to think of an explaination I wouldn't spend $$$ on adj CAs if they aren't needed in this case, but that caster worries me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jayrav
OK, I agree, but isn't 1 degree of caster too low even for factory specs? Unless his alignment tech hasn't calibrated his machine in a while and there may be an error in his readings...I don't know...just trying to think of an explaination I wouldn't spend $$$ on adj CAs if they aren't needed in this case, but that caster worries me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
oh yeah, 1° is WAY too low and either something is off with the machine or, this is just another case of every jeep being different. if in fact it is sitting at 1°, adjustable CA's is what i would be installing.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The caster is way low according to those specs....but I'm wondering.....especially since a vehicle pulls to the side with the lesser amount of caster if the OP might have gotten the caster and camber measurements mixed up. The caster would still be too low, but that would explain the pull. If the measurements are correct as they are, it should pull to the left because of more camber on that side. This is why I said the pull is likely associated with a tire. Of course, we don't even know what kind of machine took these measurement, if the rack is level......OR even if it has the legs down and is on the shop floor!! I've seen alignment "mechanics" do a complete alignment with the rack in the air before. Talk about inaccurate. Unless we know all those variables, we're just pissin in the wind tryin to help.

Quick Reply: Alignment issue after ARB OME lift