Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment...Again - P!ssing me OFF

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
Thanks, I dont think my C's are bent yet, but I'll have to look into that. I think Im gonna order the gussets anyway.

The pulling started after I nailed a stump off of the drivers side tie rod and link. I checked the toe and it was toed out 1/8", I changed the toe to toe- in 1/8". That took most of the pull out of it, now it just kinda drifts to the right yet. The steering wheel also acts wierd too.. it will be slightly off when stopped, but perfectly straight going down the highway.

Here's the stump.... dont ask

hmmm, could be you damaged a TRE from the impact or the splines of your steering box shaft. both can cause slop in your steering and result in a pull as well. grab your pitman arm and see if it jiggles at all - it shouldn't. also check the TRE's on your drag link and tie rods to see if there is any abnormal shifting - it should rotate but not shift side to side or up and down.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
hmmm, could be you damaged a TRE from the impact or the splines of your steering box shaft. both can cause slop in your steering and result in a pull as well. grab your pitman arm and see if it jiggles at all - it shouldn't. also check the TRE's on your drag link and tie rods to see if there is any abnormal shifting - it should rotate but not shift side to side or up and down.
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Sorry for the hijack Knucklehead!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
Thanks for the reply. I don't even know why I didn't think of checking that. I'll work on my JK when the sun rises.

Watch...you'll probably be right that something's loose with the steering stabilizer.
A loose or bent steering stabilizer shouldn't cause the steering wheel to be off center. It could limit your steering, but it shouldn't change it unless something else was bent too. I have to align mine regularly after wheeling. There's just too much force being put on the front end to keep it in spec.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
that sounds like suspension geometry problem to me.
Any suggestions on what else to check? It didnt start doing it until after that wheeling trip. Before that, it drove completely straight. Now there is just a slight drift and the steering wheel thing.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
that sounds like suspension geometry problem to me.
just out of curiosity, like what?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
A loose or bent steering stabilizer shouldn't cause the steering wheel to be off center. It could limit your steering, but it shouldn't change it unless something else was bent too. I have to align mine regularly after wheeling. There's just too much force being put on the front end to keep it in spec.
Yes it can.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yes it can.
I guess we disagree on this issue then, huh?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yes it can.
Forget about the original poster!! What about ME!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

How can you disagree? Crawl under it and LOOK. One end of the stabilizer is mounted to the axle housing. The other is mounted to the drag link. If the stabilizer is bent, it is the same as shortening the stabilizer, and WILL pull the drag link to the right AND cause the wheel to be off center. There's NO way around it.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bly109
Any suggestions on what else to check? It didnt start doing it until after that wheeling trip. Before that, it drove completely straight. Now there is just a slight drift and the steering wheel thing.

You may have the twisted steering sector WOL was speaking of. It takes a HARD lick to do that, though. What happens is, the sector can become twisted causing the wheel to be off center. The steering box is the recirculating ball type, which always "hunts" for the center of the sector shaft while the pump is energized. They all do it. It is an inherent design concept. Since the sector shaft is now twisted, the steering box "thinks" the center is still in the same place, but it's not. So, the Jeep will have a slight drift because of this. I've seen it on more than one occasion, though it is RARE. You probably have another problem causing it, but it is a possibility.

Quick Reply: Alignment...Again - P!ssing me OFF