Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment...Again - P!ssing me OFF

Old 06-23-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment...Again - P!ssing me OFF

Here's the dealio, about two months back I got into an accident and had to get a wheel alignment because it was just terrible!

Well on the road, my wheel was fine and straight like brand new. So I took my JK offroading, and when I went back on the road, I had to align my wheel - which I did. No problem, maybe the drag link bolts weren't tight enough.

Just now, I got back from an offroading adventure, and again my wheel had to be aligned.

I can't take this anymore. Practically three times already in two months I had to align my steering wheel because it was off. I know it's not my toe-in, because my tread is perfect and my car isn't swerving/vering in one direction. And I know I tighten those two nuts as hard as I can on my drag link after adjusting.

What is the problem? Please, you guys need to help me out because I am getting fed up with having to align my wheel after every excursion. OH, and I"m not a crazy wheeler. Like I do hard trails, but I am careful and I watch my JK and my approach angles, etc. Also, I took my JK to the dealership, and they said everything looked fine. What should I do? What do you think the problem is.

My specs are 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost, BFG 33x12.5 tires and 15" rock crawler wheels with 3.75" backspacing.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first thing I would check is the steering stabilizer. Make sure it's not bent and make sure the bolts on the bracket holding it to the drag link are TIGHT. Something is moving, and that would be my first suspect.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I don't even know why I didn't think of checking that. I'll work on my JK when the sun rises.

Watch...you'll probably be right that something's loose with the steering stabilizer.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope so. That is certainly the easiest thing......AND probably the FIRST thing that could do it.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you bent the axle tube?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Have Had Same Problem

I RECENTLY HAD SAME PROBLEM,SOON AS RE ENABLED SWAY BAR AND GOT BACK ON ROAD,WHEEL OFF CENTER AND ESP LIGHT CAME ON ON WAY HOME(steer angle sensor fault)FOUND 2 FAILURES BLOWN LEAKING FRONT SHOCK(caused front end hieght difference with my soft springs)AND LOOSE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLT(causing shift)ALSO CHECK FRONT TRACK ARM(could cause shift)AND DRAGLINK
Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
I can't take this anymore. Practically three times already in two months I had to align my steering wheel because it was off. I know it's not my toe-in, because my tread is perfect and my car isn't swerving/vering in one direction. And I know I tighten those two nuts as hard as I can on my drag link after adjusting.
it takes a while for your tread to show wear issues and more toe-in would actually make your jeep drive straighter. if your alignment is off after a wheeling trip, i would be willing to bet that you either:

1. bent your tie-rod - this would cause your toe-in to increase AND change the position of your steering wheel.

2. twisted the splines of your steering box shaft a bit. i have done this but only after a BIG hit.

what i can tell you is that i have seen plenty of people do the first and would bet that is what has happened to you.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
it takes a while for your tread to show wear issues and more toe-in would actually make your jeep drive straighter. if your alignment is off after a wheeling trip, i would be willing to bet that you either:

1. bent your tie-rod - this would cause your toe-in to increase AND change the position of your steering wheel.

2. twisted the splines of your steering box shaft a bit. i have done this but only after a BIG hit.

what i can tell you is that i have seen plenty of people do the first and would bet that is what has happened to you.
How hard is it to bend a tie rod? cuz I think that might be causing my slight pull.... damn stump
Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
How hard is it to bend a tie rod? cuz I think that might be causing my slight pull.... damn stump
pretty easy. one hit from a rock or stump and it will bow up. this will effectively change your toe-in to being greater that what it should be AND change the position of your steering wheel as well. granted, just because it's bent DOES NOT mean it needs to be replaced. there are still plenty of threads on the adjuster and depending on the severety of the bend, you can easily correct the toe-in back to where it needs to be and call it a day.

now, if you have a slight pull, this is most likely not being caused by a bent tie-rod. a pull is typically caused by uneven tire pressure but in the case of the JK, there is a good possibility that you have a bent axle C. this will cause you to have camber on your wheel and that will cause a pull as well. i have had this problem on my jk and i have seen it on a bunch of other jk's as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
pretty easy. one hit from a rock or stump and it will bow up. this will effectively change your toe-in to being greater that what it should be AND change the position of your steering wheel as well. granted, just because it's bent DOES NOT mean it needs to be replaced. there are still plenty of threads on the adjuster and depending on the severety of the bend, you can easily correct the toe-in back to where it needs to be and call it a day.

now, if you have a slight pull, this is most likely not being caused by a bent tie-rod. a pull is typically caused by uneven tire pressure but in the case of the JK, there is a good possibility that you have a bent axle C. this will cause you to have camber on your wheel and that will cause a pull as well. i have had this problem on my jk and i have seen it on a bunch of other jk's as well.
Thanks, I dont think my C's are bent yet, but I'll have to look into that. I think Im gonna order the gussets anyway.

The pulling started after I nailed a stump off of the drivers side tie rod and link. I checked the toe and it was toed out 1/8", I really dont understand how it could be toed out after the hit... I would think it would be toed in too much if I bent it. I changed the toe to toe- in 1/8". That took most of the pull out of it, now it just kinda drifts to the right yet. The steering wheel also acts wierd too.. it will be slightly off when stopped, but perfectly straight going down the highway.

Here's the stump.... dont ask

Quick Reply: Alignment...Again - P!ssing me OFF