Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment after new goodies

Old 12-30-2020, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

So, I’m looking at the PSC hydro assist kits. They have one with a big bore and one with the standard steering box. If there’s hydro assist, why is there a need for a big bore box?
Old 12-30-2020, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote: "Big Bore Steering Kits to be the ultimate steering upgrade package for Jeep JK/JKUs equipped with locking differentials, aftermarket axles, and up to 37" sized tires"
Old 12-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
Quote: "Big Bore Steering Kits to be the ultimate steering upgrade package for Jeep JK/JKUs equipped with locking differentials, aftermarket axles, and up to 37" sized tires"
Yea but with a hydraulic ram, I don’t see how a big bore box is gonna add more steering power than a standard box.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The Difference Between Electric Vs. Hydraulic Power Steering
Old 12-30-2020, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

You should look at and at least consider a Red Neck Ram from the guys at West Texas Offroad in San Angelo. The PSC guys are right here in my back yard, but man, it's hard to beat half the cost. You can't go wrong with PSC in my opinon, but you can also do it cheaper.

Trying to catch up here a little. I don't see how the hell your pitman arm mount for the DL is "elongated". that is really thick metal with a tapered stud up in it. It's not something that is just going to wallow out. If there's more than "misalignment" movement there it would seem the stud ain't set in there properly.

If I recall, your plans are to go to a D60. I wouldn't consider the big bore box for what you have planned. You'll be going to hyrdro IMO.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
You should look at and at least consider a Red Neck Ram from the guys at West Texas Offroad in San Angelo. The PSC guys are right here in my back yard, but man, it's hard to beat half the cost. You can't go wrong with PSC in my opinon, but you can also do it cheaper.

Trying to catch up here a little. I don't see how the hell your pitman arm mount for the DL is "elongated". that is really thick metal with a tapered stud up in it. It's not something that is just going to wallow out. If there's more than "misalignment" movement there it would seem the stud ain't set in there properly.

If I recall, your plans are to go to a D60. I wouldn't consider the big bore box for what you have planned. You'll be going to hyrdro IMO.
I put my hand on the pitman arm and rod end and I feel play. I don’t see the nut on top moving though. But the rod end is brand new, like 10 miles new and no death wobble abuse on the rod end. I torqued the nut down to 65 ft/lbs (calibrated snap on torque wrench), then tightened down a little more for cotter pin alignment.

I plan on going D60’s but it’s years away due to the insane cost of it. For now I’m going to use hydro assist on the stock axle. But PSC has a kit with big bore hydro assist and standard box hydro assist, I’m not sure why the big bore is better in this case?

Ive considered WTO rnr but the reviews are so mixed that I’m nervous going that route.

I can say for certain that I at the least need a new steering box and to avoid shredding another one I feel that hydro assist is a necessity.

As of now my to do list is verify balance on tires, replace steering box and install hydro assist. If anyone here has good success with the redneck ram then I’m all ears. I’d love to not spend a thousand bucks more than I have to.

Another note, my tires are in somewhat bad shape. They’ve seen their share of rocks and sidewalls are cut, tread lugs missing/torn, and inside of the tires are cupped a little from previous bad ball joints. I can’t say that the tires aren’t a factor in this but the issue I have now wasn’t present before I installed the new control arms and other stuff. Maybe since there’s new control arms/bushings, the tires and worn steering box are more noticeable since old sloppy bushings aren’t hiding it?
Old 12-30-2020, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Here is a picture of an extra pitman arm i have on hand -

I'm not saying there is 100% no way cuz I'm not some Einstein, but I would like to see that hole wallowed out by some smooth stud that is part of a misalignment joint. That is thick ass metal there.

I would say any forces applied to that pitman and are being transfered to the sector shaft and up into the box which would crap out. I really think the pitman arm itself is fine. Happy to send you this one right here if you need one.

If you have the jack to spend on PSC then you can't go wrong. I have RNR, and there are several over the years on this and other boards that have run RNR with no issues. I'm only saying at $600 vs. $1200+ it should at least be considered. idk, it works ok for me. They are really nice guys and happy to answer any questions, though, I'd tell you I've met the PSC guys while just out and about town too and they are nice as well. WTO sent me one of the Delphi boxes that is rebuildable....and I sent them back my Chinese brick.

Last edited by resharp001; 12-30-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a picture of an extra pitman arm i have on hand -

I'm not saying there is 100% no way cuz I'm not some Einstein, but I would like to see that hole wallowed out by some smooth stud that is part of a misalignment joint. That is thick ass metal there.

I would say any forces applied to that pitman and are being transfered to the sector shaft and up into the box which would crap out. I really think the pitman arm itself is fine. Happy to send you this one right here if you need one.

If you have the jack to spend on PSC then you can't go wrong. I have RNR, and there are several over the years on this and other boards that have run RNR with no issues. I'm only saying at $600 vs. $1200+ it should at least be considered. idk, it works ok for me. They are really nice guys and happy to answer any questions, though, I'd tell you I've met the PSC guys while just out and about town too and they are nice as well. WTO sent me one of the Delphi boxes that is rebuildable....and I sent them back my Chinese brick.
I may pull my pitman arm tomorrow and get a better look at it. I appreciate your help and offer of the pitman arm, if I need it I’ll make it worth your while.

Good to hear your experience with WTO is good. It makes me think about them a little more.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you need the pitman it's really nbd, just cover the shipping which should be small. I'd be more worried about trying to save the boot on the DL joint cuz every time I've separated those two It's taken a good beating with a pickle fork which kinda screwed up the grease boot.

We're getting a bit off on to a tangent here with steering box talk, but I'll just add these few experiences. I have a buddy that is cheap. Not cheap so much in build cuz has UD60s, 40s, RIPP, etc....but he doesn't spend any more than thinks needs to. He ran RNR for years with no issues. He finally blew his factory PS pump cuz he does a lot of stupid shit like flooring it and doing donuts in the dirt, and really hammers on that jeep. Other than that, he's had zero issues. Replaced with another factory PS pump someone gave him. I would have loved to go PSC with mine, but I just couldn't justify the cost. My only gripe with the RNR is the bolts they sent me were too big for the tabs they sent me to weld on! 'DOH. That seemd super stupid, but simple fix with drill press to make the holes in the tabs bigger. All in all, I think the system works ok. If you are turning lock to lock in a parking garage, there is a tiny delay, but when you know that you give the steering a second before just trying to force things. On the trail andin big rocks, it made turning while lockers were engaged seamless. Though, if you pull up to a big concrete pillar and put your front tires against it and turn, the whole jeep ain't just gonna shift while you turn that wheel like a hot knife through butter. It is "assist". I do not have experience driving with something that has the PSC system so can't speak to if that is different in that regard.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

If you need the pitman it's really nbd, just cover the shipping which should be small. I'd be more worried about trying to save the boot on the DL joint cuz every time I've separated those two It's taken a good beating with a pickle fork which kinda screwed up the grease boot.

We're getting a bit off on to a tangent here with steering box talk, but I'll just add these few experiences. I have a buddy that is cheap. Not cheap so much in build cuz has UD60s, 40s, RIPP, etc....but he doesn't spend any more than thinks needs to. He ran RNR for years with no issues. He finally blew his factory PS pump cuz he does a lot of stupid shit like flooring it and doing donuts in the dirt, and really hammers on that jeep. Other than that, he's had zero issues. Replaced with another factory PS pump someone gave him. I would have loved to go PSC with mine, but I just couldn't justify the cost. My only gripe with the RNR is the bolts they sent me were too big for the tabs they sent me to weld on! 'DOH. That seemd super stupid, but simple fix with drill press to make the holes in the tabs bigger. All in all, I think the system works ok. If you are turning lock to lock in a parking garage, there is a tiny delay, but when you know that you give the steering a second before just trying to force things. On the trail andin big rocks, it made turning while lockers were engaged seamless. Though, if you pull up to a big concrete pillar and put your front tires against it and turn, the whole jeep ain't just gonna shift while you turn that wheel like a hot knife through butter. It is "assist". I do not have experience driving with something that has the PSC system so can't speak to if that is different in that regard.
I haven’t torn a boot in years for a rod end. I loosen the nut about 5 threads or so, spray it with a lubricant, then use my riveting gun to hammer the knuckle or pitman arm. Takes only a couple minutes between letting the lubricant soak and using the air hammer, the rod end will just fall down.

I’ll give WTO a call on Monday and likely give them a shout. I’m not looking for full hydro performance, just something that will save the steering box and let me turn in the rocks.

Quick Reply: Alignment after new goodies