Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment after new goodies

Old 12-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 118 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Alignment after new goodies

So... I just installed new metalcloak control arms, and adjustable rear track bar. I also flipped the steering, installed an artec rear axle track bar mount and front raised track bar mount. So as it stands, I have all metalcloak control arms, metalcloak front and rear adjustable track bars, and metalcloak draglink/tie rod. I just got the Jeep back from a reputable alignment shop that a hood local off-road shop sends all their work to. I feel like they are wrong with what they told me but I need some more opinions.

As it sits, the left caster is at 6.25* and right is at 6.49*. The guy at the shop said that all axles come with a little more caster in the right to allow the vehicle to pull to the right to help avoid driving into on coming traffic. This sounds like a guy making up a story and not knowing what he’s talking about, even though he said he’s been in the alignment industry for 40 years. Also, I feel like anything over 6* is a lot and it should be more around 5*.

The right camber is at about -1.1 but that’s a slightly bent axle or bent c’s. I’ve been mean to the Jeep in the rocks and have since trusses and gusseted the axle so it hasn’t been an issue.

My main issue is the difference in caster and the fact the caster is over 6*.

What do you guys think?

Ill post my alignment sheet soon.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Here’s the alignment sheet. I stand corrected, the right caster is 6.42. So cross caster is 0.17*.

I do feel a little bit of a vibration in the steering wheel and a slight pull to the right. This may be a tire issue, I’ll rotate my tires tomorrow and see if the issue persists.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

We're not as far as you are with our new Metalcloak products, but we're getting there. Always get a second or third opinion on these things. One reason we've purchased the lifetime alignment through firestone. I'd actually like to hear which shop is telling you this or are you afraid to post their name?

Last edited by OscarMlke; 12-30-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I got a lifetime alignment through Firestone myself. Think I paid $140 for it 5 years ago and it has been worthwhile. It's pretty common to have different caster from side to side....I don't think .17 cross caster is huge deal, but that is just my opinion (I'm not some alignment tech). I agree though that 6° caster is too much on a factory axle. Your pinion is currently at ~-.3° and your DS is under more stress than need be. I'd lengthen those front upper arms a couple rotations and shoot to be more in the 4.5-5° range.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
We're not as far as you are with our new Metalcloak products, but we're getting there. Always get a second or third opinion on these things. One reason we've purchased the lifetime alignment through firestone. I'd actually like to hear which shop is telling you this or are you afraid to post their name?
Yea, I’d rather not post their name. I’m not the one to publicly bash someone unless they’re jerks about things. These guys have been great with service, one guy in a shop of twenty or so isn’t going to make me think anything bad about a shop.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
I got a lifetime alignment through Firestone myself. Think I paid $140 for it 5 years ago and it has been worthwhile. It's pretty common to have different caster from side to side....I don't think .17 cross caster is huge deal, but that is just my opinion (I'm not some alignment tech). I agree though that 6° caster is too much on a factory axle. Your pinion is currently at ~-.3° and your DS is under more stress than need be. I'd lengthen those front upper arms a couple rotations and shoot to be more in the 4.5-5° range.
Ive though about the lifetime alignment but the local place says they won’t touch anything more than tie rod, drag link, and front upper control arms. I would rather not deal with fighting certain shops to do what I paid for. Plus, most guys at Firestone don’t know the first thing about working on a modified vehicle.

will too much caster cause vibration and a pull?
Old 12-24-2020, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I should clarify......firestone won't do anything more than set toe and center steering wheel as they can on a factory jeep. Anything more is an additional charge. I don't care for them to do anymore....i just use them to scan it any time i make a change and I'd prefer to adjust all my arms myself. But, being able to roll in there every single day if I wanted to is a nice option. I usually just get it scanned and head home to tweak something if I need to. Too high caster would lead primarily to driveline vides, specially if you have a DC driveshaft. I recall all the work you did on the front axle but can't remember if you have aftermarket shaft or not. The vibes your getting might even be coming into play with that pull. idk. Can't imagine the camber is helping that situation.

One comment about the "all axles are built with a little more caster on the right". I really have no clue if that is true or not, but it was not uncommon to drive a new jeep off dealer lot and having it pull right from the start.....which is also why dealers always pushed the $15 cam bolt "fix". Always had me shaking my head. Had a buddy in that very situation and he said the dealer told him it was an easy fix and only going to be $15. I just told him to turn and walk away right then and I'd help him.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

We've purchased the nationwide Firestone lifetime front end alignment as this may help you also. But I still feel the jeep pulls to the left.

Last edited by OscarMlke; 12-30-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
I still feel the jeep pulls to the left.
Do I recall seeing that you added a Bilstein steering stabilizer or was that someone else I have in my head? Not to detract from SV-dude's thread, but if that was you does the jeep still pull if you remove the SS? Those gas charged units are often a headache. I might be confusing with someone else though.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

I do have a factory ds. I don’t have a steering stabilizer either.

You make good points about the Firestone alignment program. I have t wanted it yet because I’ve added things in stages where Firestone wasn’t an option. Now that I have everything adjustable and the arms and track bars are set, maybe the Firestone program isn’t such a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Alignment after new goodies