Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

alignment

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment

Any suggestions on where to get the alignment done with an aftermarket lift? I know some places use manuf specs to reset it and wasnt sure if someone had any ideas on where to go where they can set it to my specified lifts specs. I use Firestone for my wifes and my past rigs but wasnt sure if Jeeps needed more love
Old 10-16-2011, 09:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

unless you have an adjustable front track bar and adjustable front control arms with your 2.5" lift, the only thing you will be paying an alignment shop to do is recenter your steering wheel and you can do that yourself with a 15mm wrench and 3 minutes of your time - seriously.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

I do have an adjustable track bar. The JK is all over the road at 45 mph and up and the wheel is off to the left some.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hagausaf
I do have an adjustable track bar. The JK is all over the road at 45 mph and up and the wheel is off to the left some.
Go to the Teraflex page and read the instructions for the track bar install. Adjustment is pretty easy and should have been part of the install.

Straightening the steering wheel is like WOL said, 15mm wrench to loosen both pinch bolts on the steering tie rod, and spin the turnbuckle until the wheel is centered (assuming you parked it with the wheels straight). With a 2.5" lift it should only take 1/2 to 3/4 of a revolution. Then torque those bolts back down tight.

Good luck. If you can do the install yourself then don't pay somebody for these easy steps. If you have problems after these two, then come back here before paying.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

your axle being off a bit WILL NOT cause your jeep to be all over the road at 45 mph. but, if you want to recenter your axle anyway, this write-up will help you to do it with ease:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

no need to pay a shop to do what you can do yourself.

having said that, it sounds to me like you're in need of a bit more positive caster. the write-up above will help you to make this adjustment as well but, you will need to have a set of upper OR lower adjustable control arms to do it. an alignment shop will NOT be able to help you out with this without them either.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at your profile it says you have a 2.5in lift AND a TF leveling kit. If so, your at 4in or more. Are you still running stock control arms in front? If so, like WOL said you need more positive castor and you'd need adj front lowers( or some uppers can do this aswell) Lowers tend to give you more adjustability though.

Also, center that front trackbar and make sure your torque it to 125 ft lbs with the weight of the jeep on the ground.

Did you just add this lift? The 2.5, added to the leveling kit?, other way around? Put it all on at once?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Yea I added the TF leveling kit after the suspension lift so I suspect that needing adj control arms may be the problem more than needing an alignment. Any suggestions as which to get? I'm at about 3.5" all around with the front sagging from the bumper and winch
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I added the TF leveling kit after the suspension lift so I suspect that needing adj control arms may be the problem more than needing an alignment. Any suggestions as which to get? I'm at about 3.5" all around with the front sagging from the bumper and winch
I have Teraflex control arms, Zero issues with them. The front lowers were the first ones I got, been on for prolly 60,000m. I ended up getting the other ca's later as money allowed.

Several good companies out there though, I'm sure members and or vendors will respond with their recommendations aswell.

Quick Reply: alignment