Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Airraid CAI

Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine installed tonite and drove to the store after I was done.

That first time I lead footed the gas I about lost it. The growl it gives the engine is fantastic and I definitely could feel a small gain in acceleration power too.

Money WELL spent =]
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Has anyone done an actual write up of the installation process? I know it's supposed to be pretty straight forward, and the only thing that really has caused anyone any grief is snapping the connector, but generally I find the write ups much more helpful than the actual directions that come with any given part. Oh and I can't seem to find the thread where someone explained how to avoid the "whistle" that some folks were complaining about. I know I read it, but doing a search for airraid hasn't helped much since it's mentioned so frequently on the page. Mine should be delivered tomorrow and I'm psyched to get it on and completely negate any mpg increases by repeatedly stomping on the gas pedal to hear how it sounds. lol

Edit: Searching for Airaid and Whistle helped. lol People seem to feel that not sliding the tube all the way down before clamping it reduces or eliminates the whistle. Until I've got mine in hand, it's a bit hard to truly understand what they're talking about, but at install time I bet it will become obvious.

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 09-05-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Hog
JK Newbie

Default avoid air sensor breakage

Originally Posted by Okiejk
I need some help on installation. I read that you can easily break your air flow sensor. Any tips for a safe and easy install? Thanks in advance!

Howdy - installed my Airaid last weekend.. OEM hole is way smaller than sensor anchor, so my choice was to cut it out from (who needs it anymore) OEM tube with a razor blade (slice CAREFULLY from throttlebody end toward sensor hole, tearing the last little bit to avoid cutting the sensor too)... store in a small tupper bowl with a lid until needed... ya, that little piece of tupperware your wife takes her lunch to work in!
BTW, a little hand sanitizer around the new tube sensor hole lubricates for easier insert like WD40 or Armour All, but will evaporate soon as it is mostly alcohol...
BTW2 - mine really sorta is a "cold" air intake as I wrapped tube and covered outside of box with 2000 degree heat shield tape (anal, huh!?) and made a 2''x4'' (aprox) hole in the splash guard plastic behind and left of the left grill slot to feed outside air to open side of box.. not sure it makes any more difference than anybody else's (sounds like a freak'n holly 4-barrel coming on the pipe at the slightest bit of purposeful throttle.... wwWAAAAAAAAAA!!!), but taping gave me something to do while nursing Hogette after surgery and cutting the hole seemd like a way to ensure more outside air avail that isn't so heated

Last edited by Hog; 12-14-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: PS:No whistle, even with "free" TBspcr (did that separate to get feel of it alone...tube is flush w/TB, but not so up against it that it pooches the lip... = whistle?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Airaid CAI - Sensor removal

Originally Posted by hemi
i just carefully pryed it out pulling with one hand and using a screwdriver as a lever to help pull it out
I got mine out the same way hemi did using a screwdriver. I also fed a few drops of silicone lubricant in the hole to make it come out easier. I didn't want to cut the original tube just in case I reverted back to the stock setup.

Last edited by treadmark; 12-20-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my Airaid (along with throttle body spacer) installed tonight. Getting the sensor out was a pain in the azz but nothing that the ol razor blade couldn't over come. Sounds pretty sweet but not sure about any real increase in power. I am anxious to see if it has any affect on the gas mileage. Since adding the 35s I have been somewhere in the mid 14s and that is pretty crappy as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 AM
JK Jedi

Got mine purchased but it's backordered, looking forward to getting it on though.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have had mine in the garage, still in the box along with a spacer, for about two weeks. Looking forward to installing soon!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

I love my airraid cai. My suggestion is to just unclip the connector and get the sensor out with the entire piece out of the vehicle. Much easier.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

instal is easy enough the hardest part was putting up the heat shield around the filter, it sits a little funny. As far as the sensor I cut a slit on two sides of it with a razor blade in the old intake tube and it just fell out. No need for the old part anyways.

I did notice a small increase in HP but not so much for MPG. You can definitly hear it pulling in more air.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i didn't see a need to cut anything. Just some gentle prying to get the sensor out.

Quick Reply: Airraid CAI