Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Airing down?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good guidelines here. Real traction improvement occurs between 15 and 8. Below 8 I think most people are going to have bead problems without bead locks in your conditions. Obviously you loose clearance when you let that much air out, so it's a balance and only you can decide what is best for your set up and setting.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you do when you lose your bead? Is the only opting to change the tire?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Timh
What do you do when you lose your bead? Is the only opting to change the tire?
If you have a co2 tank it's easy: a) if possible roll the jeep very slowly to see if you can get it close, then puff CO2 in. If doesn't work, then try b) jack the jeep up so weight is off the tire. Grab hold of the rubber on each side of tire and wiggle it to try to get the bead closer to fit. It doesn't have to be tight, just touching. Then puff with CO2.

I have seen guys use starter fluid and a lighter to do the puff to seat the bead. They sprayed some in the tire, then sprayed some over the flame igniting the ether to create the puff and seat the bead. Then you still fill with air or CO2.

To eliminate the issue of losing beads I really like staun inner beadlocks. You can use them with stock wheels.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

The starter fluid and lighter method will pucker your butthole the first time you try it. Lol
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdash
The starter fluid and lighter method will pucker your butthole the first time you try it. Lol
10-4. The guys I saw do were on carnage canyon. Took them about 2 minutes to get the tire back on the bead. And you are right:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi

10-4. The guys I saw do were on carnage canyon. Took them about 2 minutes to get the tire back on the bead. And you are right:
I used to seat big truck tires that way. Watch your eyebrows....
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi
If you have a co2 tank it's easy: a) if possible roll the jeep very slowly to see if you can get it close, then puff CO2 in. If doesn't work, then try b) jack the jeep up so weight is off the tire. Grab hold of the rubber on each side of tire and wiggle it to try to get the bead closer to fit. It doesn't have to be tight, just touching. Then puff with CO2.

I have seen guys use starter fluid and a lighter to do the puff to seat the bead. They sprayed some in the tire, then sprayed some over the flame igniting the ether to create the puff and seat the bead. Then you still fill with air or CO2.

To eliminate the issue of losing beads I really like staun inner beadlocks. You can use them with stock wheels.
If you only lose one bead then pulling on the tire or a ratchet strap tightened around it to bulge it out, co2 or even a $50 small compressor works, make sure to over inflate until you hear the bead pop into place. If both beads then starter fluid. I prefer to spray it in the tire and then throw a match. Also make sure to clean mud and dirt off the tire bead and rim before starting.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by filthy-Beast
If both beads then starter fluid. I prefer to spray it in the tire and then throw a match. Also make sure to clean mud and dirt off the tire bead and rim before starting.
^^^ that'll do it. Be sure to use enough to get the poof. If not you just set the tire on fire.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Don't mean to jack this thread, but do you air down as low with passengers in the jeep? If I have 3 buddies with me, we will say 200 lbs each, that is an extra 600 lbs of weight to carry in a 2 door. So how much would that effect your airing down?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DMoore5
Don't mean to jack this thread, but do you air down as low with passengers in the jeep? If I have 3 buddies with me, we will say 200 lbs each, that is an extra 600 lbs of weight to carry in a 2 door. So how much would that effect your airing down?
What you really want is your tire to deform over rocks. With a fully loaded jeep (crap and passengers) you might be several pounds higher pressure. My rig with 3 passengers and several hundred pounds of gear I wheel at 12 psi or so. Just me and no gear, then 7psi or so. However, I always check my rubber to see how it is doing on the rock. Depending on weather, heat or cold, I might adjust further during the day.

Btw, I like ARB deflators. Very fast to use with practice.

Quick Reply: Airing down?