Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Airaid + Snorkel, is it possible?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid + Snorkel, is it possible?

Everytime I open my hood, I question me decision to install the Airaid, however I do like the power gains. My delimma is, I would like to have a snorkel for peace of mind, and the Airaid is an obstacle to installing one. I don;t really want to go back to the stock airbox. So what to do?

I looked at the Safari Snorkel for the JK, and it got me thinking. There has to be a solution to fabricate a sealable box for the airaid, and connect that to the safari snorkel plumbing.

Has anyone else given this any thought?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

I've been wondering this too....would the install of a CAI mean I could never install a snork?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Zee
JK Freak

It is the conical filter that provides creater filter surface area, thus better airflow. I'll have to check out Volant...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

well it is also the open air design as opposed to a closed box. a snorkel with a new airbox with a conical filter may be nice, but i dont think its worth it to try to make your air raid work with a snorkel, i dont think the gains will be good. Just get snorkel and replace filter with a kand n
Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKrazed
I think Volant has done this in the past.
I spoke with the Volant rep at the Truck and Jeep fest in Orlando, (Aug,08)
He told me keep an eye on the website in about two weeks they will have the CAI and Snorkel combo available for the JK.
The CAI is completely sealed for the snorkel application. Seems like a good approach, and one I am considering myself.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been wondering this for a long time.

I love my AirRaid, but as I wheel more I realize the benefits of the snorkel. I would LOVE to have both.

The only idea I've had to combine the two is to connect one end of some sort of "tube" for lack of a better word to the opening on the snokel and run it up to the clamp that holds the AirRaid filter. Done right it very well could be watertight. I just don't know if the engine would still get enough air, OR what material to use for the "tube".

Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

trust me, i had an air raid. and switched to river raider snorkel. both power output and gas mileage has gone up with stock air box and kand n filter. While treying to modify it to use a snorkel would be nice, i dont think it would be overall that much more effective. The ram air snorkels force plenty of cold air into the intake as it is. that is my opinion at least.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Zee
JK Freak

The volant snorkel for the TJ is a hideous though, lets see if they do better for the JK. I really like the Safari snorkel.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

ZEE thinkin same thing,considering fabbing sheetmetal box(sealed with top access)and building to fit AEV snorkel
Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 AM
JK Jedi

I think it would be cool, I would probably choose to utilize the AEV snorkle which dumps air right in the air filter location through the hood. I doubt that the effort to make a good air box would be paid back in gains, but still would be a neat thing to do.

Quick Reply: Airaid + Snorkel, is it possible?