Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Shocks for sag on snow plow help

Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Shocks for sag on snow plow help

Guys I have a 2012 sport with a western HTS plow- Cannot find part numbers for front air shocks to prevent sagging - Or if you have other ideas I am open- thanks for the help!!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bebop86
Guys I have a 2012 sport with a western HTS plow- Cannot find part numbers for front air shocks to prevent sagging - Or if you have other ideas I am open- thanks for the help!!
It may help if you search air springs instead of air shocks. Air shocks on a jk, especially with a heavy plow are usually a no go.

Last edited by Maertz; 12-03-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read over the years of a few people who have installed/used the Timbren Kit for Jeep JK Wrangler (2007-2015) - 4WD - FRONT

I have no personal experience with this kit, but have read where it worked for others with plows.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

thanks just ordered the timbrens- My son will be using the jeep as a daily driver- It only has 16000 miles but while I am putting the timbrens in should I upgrade the shocks- Not sure how good the stock shocks are??- again only on road use and snowplowing- thanks for alll the suggestions!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Not a good idea to try and support extra weight with shocks. You will likely blow out the shock towers. The springs carry the weight not the shocks so I would suggest heavier springs.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Not a good idea to try and support extra weight with shocks. You will likely blow out the shock towers. The springs carry the weight not the shocks so I would suggest heavier springs.
Shock towers should hold up fine imo. Mine were a bitch to cut off, but i agree the shock may hate it...
Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Air shocks are a bad idea as the added load from the plow will be supported by the shocks and that's not what a shock is designed to do.

Timbrens work good but will negatively affect the ride when plow is off.

Get some air bags from Airlift or Firestone.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a TJ that I use for snow removal and run air shocks on it just fine. It has an 8 foot Boss V so it's not a light plow either. I also ran a JK last year w air shocks with a 7 1/2 ft Boss V w ext wings. I had no problems there either. I had the guy at carquest find the right air shocks by matching mounting bolt size and then length. I had to put a hole in the shock tower where the air line went in. I would try the Sumo springs. They look like a pretty good option too.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

I think we are picturing different air shocks.. No one really makes and air shock for jks as they are to heavy and have never really seen anyone run them especially with a plow. Air bags make sense and have heard them called air coils.

Quick Reply: Air Shocks for sag on snow plow help