Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Lockers

Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Lockers

I've been looking around at lockers and can't determine what to look for. I've seen air lockers and the idea of being able to flip a switch would be nice. But is it worth the money? I have a '12 JK Sport stock. I will eventually put a a 3-3.5" lift and 35's, and I hope to go crawling from time to time, but this is my DD and I will be doing more road driving the offroad driving. What do you suggest?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Clearly there is no question as to the advantage of a selectable locker in an offroad vehicle. Not only are you able to lock up to gain traction but you also control being unlocked to avoid breakage.

The question really is can you justify the cost. You can have plenty of fun with open carriers and with enough lift and tire run almost any trail you would like. It's the crazy stupid stuff that you really need the lockers for.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by VolsJeep
I've been looking around at lockers and can't determine what to look for. I've seen air lockers and the idea of being able to flip a switch would be nice. But is it worth the money? I have a '12 JK Sport stock. I will eventually put a a 3-3.5" lift and 35's, and I hope to go crawling from time to time, but this is my DD and I will be doing more road driving the offroad driving. What do you suggest?
Detroit TrueTracs. Several threads (to put it mildly) to look at if you search. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

ARBs if you can afford it. I have run many different lockers in several jeeps and trucks and the ARBs are superior as far as daily driving, having the on off option, and strength.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the decision process as well. I have the Dana Traclok front and rear and really haven't had much trouble with climbing. I am about to regear and was considering doing lockers but the expense has caused me to reconsider. Install will run you around $250 per axel for a non lunchbox style locker. That puts the Detroit E-Locker and the ARB airlocker over the $1000 mark.

I was considering an auto locker for the front and selectable in the rear but was talked out of both at the shop. They suggested a selectable front if you want to drive in rain and snow. An auto will lock anytime you give it power so in 4H the front wouldn't turn if you are accelerating. They convinced me an LSD is preferable to a locker in the rear for a DD especially for snowboarding trips and such. On snow you would be left open without LSD.

What is came down to was my best setup since I already have an ARB compressor would be an ARB front and leave the LSD rear. If I had the money I would go that route but I need gears worse and I'm adding a front shaft so I'm already in for close to $1700. I just don't have the money for a $1000+ locker right now. It will cost me probably $250 extra in labor later when they have to open up the diff and add it.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also consider the Yukon Zip locker, same as an ARB Just a bit more inexpensive. I've wheeled mine in some fairly tough situations and never had a problem out of them. Just with the routing of my air lines. They have a great warranty as well. I added mine when I had my re gear done.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate all the insight! It's going to be awhile before I do anything because of funds, but with all this time I want to do a lot of research.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VolsJeep
The shop that is going to do my gears use zip locker,they have done many of those without a single problem, MADE IN THE USA and the warranty is great.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a zip locker waiting to go into my rear axle
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor

ARB is definitely the strongest. They have a video on youtube of the ARB vs. Yukon Zip locker in a strength test.

Yes Yukon does have a great warranty but after you watch the video you might change your mind about which locker to use.

Quick Reply: Air Lockers