Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air intake suggestions.....

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
K&n and other intake companies have documented graphs that show the performance increase from stock to their product. that says it all. the stock intake is restrictive. what the new intakes mostly do is bring the air to the engine faster, and smoother. the tubing in the engine compartment does get warm and therefore makes the air warm too. But...so does the stock tubing....and the new intake brings that air faster. So its not getting heated as much. the new filter cleans that air good too. not if you get a cheap filter from autozone for $20. but a good filter does an excellent job.
Like i said, the comparison graphs say it all.
Well said, thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is negligible gains from an intake system. The majority of those gains come from the filter itself and you can but a drop in performance filter inexpensively. If you do opt for an intake system, make sure the intake tube is poly based. This negates the heat soak of metal tubed CAIs, introducing more heat into the intake air. So save your money, buy a drop in filter from K&N or AFE. The biggest difference you'll notice over a full CAI system is how it lessens the load on your wallet.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

K&n and other intake companies have documented graphs that show the performance increase from stock to their product. that says it all. the stock intake is restrictive. what the new intakes mostly do is bring the air to the engine faster, and smoother. the tubing in the engine compartment does get warm and therefore makes the air warm too. But...so does the stock tubing....and the new intake brings that air faster. So its not getting heated as much. the new filter cleans that air good too. not if you get a cheap filter from autozone for $20. but a good filter does an excellent job.
Like i said, the comparison graphs say it all.
I get it that there would be gains just from helping the engine to breathe better. What of the quality of, say a K & N air filter. Would it be inline or hopefully superior to the factory air filter's specs? I personally would hate engine life to be sacrificed for a handful of HP and torque.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default intakes

I just did a K+N filter swap in my factory intake housing , and they are a pain to clean and they take along time to dry. Once you buy them and read the instructions , in small print they say , not for off road use. I think it's because they will suck up more fine particles off road.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an Airaid on mine and it seems to be doing quite well. A little less costly as the K&N too
Old 09-07-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the Banks Ram Air CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. Installed them both the same day. Better throttle responce and gained 1-2 MPG's. Sounds cool in the 3k to 4k RPM range.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I honestly would prefer a k&n filter over stock. it does filter better. and the not for off road use is probably because you never know what off road truly is.
Are you cruising through the forest and sloshing through mud? The filter will be fine.
Are you bumping around on beaches and desert sands? Then sand is going to get everywhere and no matter what filter you use...the fine particles are going to get through.
And obviously a cai isnt good for going though creeks and streams and deep water holes. a snorel is what you want.

For me....just my experience and my personal input....k&n is the best you can get. k&n does applications for many MANY vehicles and their reputation is the best.
When i think intake...i think k&n. when you think watches...you think rolex. when you think exhaust...you think flowmaster or Magnaflow. some names just have that reputation because their product is that good.
k&n filters would filter better than stock.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Remember...its just my opinion. don't attack me.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I honestly would prefer a k&n filter over stock. it does filter better. and the not for off road use is probably because you never know what off road truly is.
Are you cruising through the forest and sloshing through mud? The filter will be fine.
Are you bumping around on beaches and desert sands? Then sand is going to get everywhere and no matter what filter you use...the fine particles are going to get through.
And obviously a cai isnt good for going though creeks and streams and deep water holes. a snorel is what you want.

For me....just my experience and my personal input....k&n is the best you can get. k&n does applications for many MANY vehicles and their reputation is the best.
When i think intake...i think k&n. when you think watches...you think rolex. when you think exhaust...you think flowmaster or Magnaflow. some names just have that reputation because their product is that good.
k&n filters would filter better than stock.
Thanks bro. Great advise.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

No problem. just remember...it will be an improvement no matter what brand you go with. but for me, k&n is the only choice.

Quick Reply: Air intake suggestions.....