Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

air intake squealing. need advice.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake squealing. need advice.

I put a k&n intake on my '10 JKU. At around 1800 rpms there is a high pitched squeel. Not a vacuum leak though bc it stops over 2000 rpms. I hear this is a problem with jeep and not k&n. Any advice on how to fix? Apologize if this is a common post. Thx in advance.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM
JK Newbie

I installed a volant cool air intake on my 2010 JK. I believe we are eating the same thing based off the description. I don't think it's a problem though. Granted mine whistles at just above 2K RPM then quickly ceases. It may just be the sound of less restricted airflow passing through the filter at a certain speed. On mile 10k with the whistle an have had no problems.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem. The previous owner of my 07 Sahara installed an Airaid intake and the whistle is right around 1800-2000 RPM. I took it all apart and cleaned my throttle body today. Seems even louder now. Is there any fix for it?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Angry

I wish there were... it drives me crazy. I had my doors off today and all I could hear is that whistle sucking sound.... makes me want to take it off :(
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
JK Freak

Do you mean a whistle? That's normal...press the gas harder and you'll hear it growl instead.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

So if I were to go back to the stock air filter it would fix the whistle? I'm contemplating trading the performance for my sanity.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ajpowell
So if I were to go back to the stock air filter it would fix the whistle? I'm contemplating trading the performance for my sanity.
Same thing happens to me with a K&N High Air Flow Oiled Filter, if I change back to stock it goes away. It drives me nuts also, but im putting up with it right now for the performance/mileage gain. But it does make me feel like their is something wrong with my jeep. I have had CAI'S in the past on other vehicles and this sound isn't the same, it doesn't sound like more air flow, it sounds like a whistle/squeek.

If anyone does find a fix, let me know as well. But since I know changing back to stock filter fixes it, I don't see there being another fix.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Having same issue

I'm having the same issue with the Banks CAI I just installed. The noise drives me crazy but good to see that it's a known "side effect" of CAI and not a problem with the unit. Maybe I'll look at getting headers and new exhaust to see if the more aggressive sound drowns out the whistle...lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

For the guy with the K&N, double check that your intake tube didn't collapse. I had one on my 09 that the tube cracked right at the throttle body and it was causing a bad whistle sucking air in right at the connection. Just an FYI. Also, I wound up going back to stock after a while even after I got a replacement part from K&N for the collapsed tube.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Please help - k&n cai

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Same thing happens to me with a K&N High Air Flow Oiled Filter, if I change back to stock it goes away. It drives me nuts also, but im putting up with it right now for the performance/mileage gain. But it does make me feel like their is something wrong with my jeep. I have had CAI'S in the past on other vehicles and this sound isn't the same, it doesn't sound like more air flow, it sounds like a whistle/squeek.

If anyone does find a fix, let me know as well. But since I know changing back to stock filter fixes it, I don't see there being another fix.
I am having the same issue but mine is soo loud that it sounds like a cop siren / or im smuggling a gaggle of birds underneath my hood. It makes no sound when it starts cold but as soon it warms up then you hear. The squeaking / chirping sound goes away around 2k+ RPM. It is so loud it completely that people look at me like dude fix your car. I have tried to find where the sound is coming from with no luck. It sound like it is coming from like behind the pulleys. I've had 2 mechanics look at and say its definitely your tensioner pulley and another person I have no idea what that sound is and he had worked on cars for 20 years and it was a first. It is not coming from CAI itself it sound like it is coming from the engine it self. The funy thing is that when the i take off the CAI the sound immediately goes away so it is defiantly something whit the CAI itself. I heard that maybe the shitty little gasket that it came with isn't air tight, ugg. I bought RTV high heat silicone liquid gasket to see if apply it to the gasket between the manifold and CAI is the issue. The other weird thing is that when u kill the engine it sounds like a someone just pulled the power cord of a vacuum that has whistle attached to the end. So bizarre. I spend more $ for the K&N CAI and now I just wish I bought a cheaper one. I really could use someone's help or assistance. Everyone I talked to or have seen/listened to it really has no idea other than taking shots in the dark. I have scoured the threads and nothing seems to make sense. I had another guy say that it could be my EGR valve and you need to create some type custom baffler plate for the noise. I now know what sound would make some one crazy and unfortunatly i paid for it. Can anyone please help assist? It would be greatly. It's a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 5.9 L

Quick Reply: air intake squealing. need advice.