Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air intake and snorkel

Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Generally speaking, choose either a snorkel (which is a real cold air intake) or a CAI (which is not a real cold air intake). There is at least one exception that I know of: RIPP offers a housing for their CAI for their superchargers that can adapt it to certain snorkels. Purpose is to disconnect the snorkel when on-highway, allowing maximum airflow to the supercharger, but have a snorkel when needed off-highway. However, with AEV's redesign of their snorkel, which was somewhat restrictive in dyno testing, the need for such an adapter is moot.

My put: If you use your Jeep off road, get a snorkel, or just run the stock air box (provided you don't ford anything deep). If you're street only, then a CAI is okay. Don't expect any noticeable horsepower/gas mileage improvements regardless of what the marketing literature might say. You're getting a CAI for the sound, and for the appearance when you open the hood.

Oh, and snorkels just look cool, especially when fording ...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread might help...https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-combo-300081/
Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Generally speaking, choose either a snorkel (which is a real cold air intake) or a CAI (which is not a real cold air intake). There is at least one exception that I know of: RIPP offers a housing for their CAI for their superchargers that can adapt it to certain snorkels. Purpose is to disconnect the snorkel when on-highway, allowing maximum airflow to the supercharger, but have a snorkel when needed off-highway. However, with AEV's redesign of their snorkel, which was somewhat restrictive in dyno testing, the need for such an adapter is moot. My put: If you use your Jeep off road, get a snorkel, or just run the stock air box (provided you don't ford anything deep). If you're street only, then a CAI is okay. Don't expect any noticeable horsepower/gas mileage improvements regardless of what the marketing literature might say. You're getting a CAI for the sound, and for the appearance when you open the hood. Oh, and snorkels just look cool, especially when fording ...
This is why I mentioned volant earlier. They offer a kit similar to RIPP. You can get their CAI that's an enclosed box and there is a different top cover for it that hooks into there snorkel. If you decide to take the snorkel off then just put the original cover on and you have a volant CAI.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha, thanks for clearing it up. I do like the RIPP since I can use any snorkel kit I want or Volant since it's a full kit as well. But help was great and should be purchasing one relatively soon

Quick Reply: Air intake and snorkel