Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Filter Test

Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are worried about dust with a K&N or other aftermarket Filter just invest another $10-15 and get yourself a PRE-FILTER! This will help reduce the cleaning intervals and amount of finer dust particles (silt) through the filter into your intake.

I have yet to have any issues of dust getting through my CAI systems into the intake on my Trucks using a PRE-Filter and I drive extreme dusty conditions in the summer months.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good info to have - I was just going to order the K&N drop in filter and now decided to hold off. What's the point of adding dirt pass through if you get nothing in return. Read the link all the way down. It says that filters which allow more air to pass (includes dirt) do NOT increase HP.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
If you are worried about dust with a K&N or other aftermarket Filter just invest another $10-15 and get yourself a PRE-FILTER! This will help reduce the cleaning intervals and amount of finer dust particles (silt) through the filter into your intake.

I have yet to have any issues of dust getting through my CAI systems into the intake on my Trucks using a PRE-Filter and I drive extreme dusty conditions in the summer months.
Waite a minute here. Let me get this straight, to see if it makes sense to me.
I already know that with a K&N at the cost of about $30-$40 it's going to flow better, however I am going to find dirt in my plenum. So if I don't want that dust/dirt in my system I'm going to spend another $10-$15 for a prefilter, so that it will reduce the amount I'm going to get into the plenum, thereby reducing the the airflow through the K&N, and brings the cost up to $40-$55 for an air filter, so I can say I have a K&N.
Yea, that makes sense to me.

I guess I'm being a bit sarcastic, because like I posted many times, I've had a CAI, and again I don't know why it's called a cold air intake, because it's located in the engine bay taking the air from the hotest part of the Jeep, for a very long time, and the only reason I still have it is because since removing the stock airbox, I have installed an ARB airpump. Since having the CIA, K&N filter and prefilter, yes I've been using a prefilter for about 8 years now, the only increase I've seen is the throatier sound at low speeds, and a and whistle sound. at highway speeds. My MPG has not increased nor has my power. Well power maybe a little, but I would not brag about it because the fact of the matter is after installing the CIA and K&N I actually lost about 1 MPG. In addition, for me having to pull the filter, wash it, spend more $$ to relube, and remount, it's more a hastle than an asset.
That said, it did give me the room to install the ARB pump, and that's a plus, although, I probably could have found another place for the pump. This all done on my XJ. Of course the XJ may have some different aspects as far as the engine goes which may account for not getting those power increases of up to 20% with a CIA, and another 4-7% with the K&N, however I doubt it.
At any rate, don't let me doom and gloom you into not spending your hard earned $$ for that miricle filter. After all look at the K&N website, and the horsepower gains you will get.
Wait a minute. The drop in filter does not show any HP gain. Hmmmm.
The Aircharger for my 94XJ does show an "estimated" increase of 7.11 HP at 4548 RPM's. 4548 RPM's, WOW, that's pretty high, seeing I readline at about 5200. Wonder at what RPM my rev limiter kicks in?
WOW, I'm sure glad the JK's 3.8 redlines at 6K, because although the K&N drop in produces no HP gain as indicated on their site, the aircharger will produce an estimated 8.17 HP at 4807 RPM's. Again I wonder at what RPM the rev limiter kicks in. Does anyone know because I cannot say I've ever had our JK to 4800 RPMs, and if I were to spend $271.95 for this bolt on, I would sure like to be able to take advantage of this whopping estimated HP increase.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default more dust but you get a cool sticker with KN

dont forget, the cool sticker in kn box gives you an additional 5HP too.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Waite a minute here. Let me get this straight, to see if it makes sense to me.
I already know that with a K&N at the cost of about $30-$40 it's going to flow better, however I am going to find dirt in my plenum. So if I don't want that dust/dirt in my system I'm going to spend another $10-$15 for a prefilter, so that it will reduce the amount I'm going to get into the plenum, thereby reducing the the airflow through the K&N, and brings the cost up to $40-$55 for an air filter, so I can say I have a K&N.
Yea, that makes sense to me.

Knowing you are being sarcastic....The reason I like having an AFE CAI for my truck with prefilter was it was WAY CHEAPER in the long run of owning my Truck for maintenance. I was changing out the STOCKER Filter every 3000-4000km (2000 to 2500miles) at $25 a pop. The Dust gets crazy in the summer following Logging trucks on Forest Service roads.

For my trucks, I will only get an oiled filter/CAI system. I got an AFE CAI for $300 and prefilter for $10. With the AFE CAI system I clean out my filter every 7500km and yes the oil and cleaner costs $15 to clean my filter 4 times. I do drive about 60,000 km/year so it was a good cost savings for the life of my truck to go with a AFE CAI for maintenance. So, in about a year of driving the AFE CAI has paid for itself. Also, with the AFE CAI on my Cummin's it helps with my EGT's and increased air flow for my Turbo and thus helps with HP gains with the addition of the Edge Juice Chip.

I totally agree some CAI systems especially on Natural aspired GASSER motor's Don't increase HP. Did a test with my 06 Dodge Magnum R/T (5.7L Hemi) with several other LX forum members and we tested serveral aftermarket CAI systems and filters vs. Stock box and filter. All, CAI systems we lost 3-7HP over the stock box and filter.

However, I have made gains in MPG with the CAI system, mind you very minimal as I enjoy hearing the throaty growl/turbo whistle the CAI systems make over stock boxs and get on the go pedal.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99, let me say in your case a CIA and K&N makes sense.
That is in your case, and I'm sure there are other cases that it would also make sense.
I for one, however am fed up with the hype about K&N filters. Not only K&N but rather all those componies out there that spin thier product to the point that many believe believe it will in fact add great HP gains and increase gas miliage to the point it becomes a must have thing.
Look at all the posters on this board and what do you see.
Mods:
blah
blah
blah
CIA with K&N
blah
blah
blah
Every time I see this it just amazes me, that some out there actually think the $$$ they spend on these add-ons is actually giving them something above and beyond the stock system.
How many times have we read CIA with K&N. Seat of the pants increase in HP and 2-3 MPG.
Hogwash.
K&N is in buisness to make money, and make money they do.
If sheeple want to spend thier hard earned $$$ on this stuff, then that's thier choice, however I believe there are far too many posting about these things that really don't know what they are talking about, but rather just going with the flow of some that have got these things and posted how great they are, when they are not.
In your case you make a just cause for getting what you got, and I will not dispute your reasoning, however in most cases the people who are using these add-ons on DD'rs and those who do take thier Jeep out to the trails, who are posting these great HP gains and gas savings are talking out of thier a**e*. There are no facts to substantiate these claims, and that makes me bitter.
I just want the truth to be posted. Not this stuff like "seat of the pants HP gains. Let's be real here. If these things did as much as I've seen some post then the auto manufactures would install at factory so they could brag up the HP and MPG ratings.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default have a friend that worked at Donaldson Filtration

For the $, why drop in a filter that allows dirt into engine and provides minimal if 0 performance gain?

Friend at Donaldson that tested various filters said no way to KN, he thought i was crazy to even consider installing one.

As for non-drop in filters, I have no interest in sucking H20 through engine either.

Just say no to extra dirt and H20 in engine. this is my .01

Quick Reply: Air Filter Test