Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Filter Test

Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Filter Test

I found this on another thread and thought it was interesting. I am not siding with any company just wanted to share information.
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that pisses me off, I just spent $53.00 on a K&N.....
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Well that pisses me off, I just spent $53.00 on a K&N.....
I have used K&N since I could drive and never had any issue with K&N. Just my .02.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info, gives a lot to think about
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Pretty impressive data. I have a K&N and the stock box that I have switched back and forth. I did not see any gain in mpg. The horsepower ...I don't have a dyno but if you want to hear the motor growl the K&N does that. My CAI only cost 100 bucks so I haven't shelled out as much as some but this test makes me want to put the stock box back in with an A/C Delco and leave it.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

From my understanding, that's always been the trade off of using K&N filters. To get better air flow, it has to be more free flowing, which allows in more dirt,dust, etc.

It's a trade off that many have done to pick up a couple extra mpg and HP here and there.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
Pretty impressive data. I have a K&N and the stock box that I have switched back and forth. I did not see any gain in mpg. The horsepower ...I don't have a dyno but if you want to hear the motor growl the K&N does that. My CAI only cost 100 bucks so I haven't shelled out as much as some but this test makes me want to put the stock box back in with an A/C Delco and leave it.
Does AC DELCO make an air filter for Jeep? I have looked but could not find the information that I need
Old 07-11-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
Does AC DELCO make an air filter for Jeep? I have looked but could not find the information that I need
I just got the K&N at PepBoys and the book they have says K&N, Fram, Wix and Amsoil and factory are the only ones available at this time.....I do think the book was about a year old though. It also does not say who makes "Factory"
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I did a search for the JK AC Delco and could not find a match for our engine.

Anyone know better?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another thread about air filters, and again the miricle K&N filter came up.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=air+filters
In this thread I posted info from an independent lab that had done a test on filters, and came to the conclusion that the K&N was one of the best filters, "for allowing dust to pass, that is". Got a response from someone who stated that allowing ..... well here is a cut and paste of the post.
(screen name has been edited).
Originally Posted by $##*
Not to start up this whole argument again, but...

First of all: more flow does not always mean less filtering.
Second: K&N is not a waste of money. In the end, you pay less because you don't have to replace it, etc.
Third: who cares if you see more crap in the plenum? If it doesn't cause problems or other costs, then in the end the K&N is still worthwhile.
"First of all: was in response to the finding of the independent lab that more dirt/dust was passed by the K&N.
"Third" was in response to my stating that I had switched to a K&N on my 94XJ years ago and after a few months had found much dirt in my TB and intake plenum.

This same individual stated the reason he got a K&N in the first place was because he got tired of his stock filter getting plugged up by mud and dirt.
Duuhhh...

What amazes me is after all this information, there are those out there who still swear by K&N and spend way to much $$ for a K&N filter, simply because of the hype.

In this new independent lab finding, I will not be purchasing an AMSOIL air filter in the near future either.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Test