Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aggravating brakes

Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aggravating brakes

I need some help. I've gone through three set of rear pads bc my jeep sounds like a train( not really but I feel like it does) when coming to a complete stop the first time I brake after she has been sitting for a few. I've used every kind of pad that Auto zone sells. I replaced the rear again on Saturday with Wagner thermo quiet pads. Some what better but still there. I've greased everything that could be the culprit. I've replaced the shims. I replaced the rotors. The new pads have noticeable better braking but the sound is annoying. Is this an issue anyone is having? Moving my thoughts to it being a dust shield or another component..
Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help with the issue, but I'd like to throw in my issue too. Maybe the same? When I release the brake pedal, it's kind of a grinding noise. Always had it, since new. I first realized it was an issue when another buddy was standing behind me and heard all the creaking/grinding noise while I was backing up in my driveway. He has a Jeep too and doesn't make any noise.

Also, bout the Jeep new. Currently 23k miles. Brakes perfectly, no issues. Just strange noises from the rear brakes.

Same thing you getting OP?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll assume you cleaned and lubed the caliper slide pins.

What are you using for lube?

Have you peaked under the caliper boot to see if the caliper is corroded?

Can you post photos?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mr_alex2
I can't help with the issue, but I'd like to throw in my issue too. Maybe the same? When I release the brake pedal, it's kind of a grinding noise. Always had it, since new. I first realized it was an issue when another buddy was standing behind me and heard all the creaking/grinding noise while I was backing up in my driveway. He has a Jeep too and doesn't make any noise.

Also, bout the Jeep new. Currently 23k miles. Brakes perfectly, no issues. Just strange noises from the rear brakes.

Same thing you getting OP?
Check your ebrake shoes in back. Maybe stuck. They are underneath rotor
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I'll assume you cleaned and lubed the caliper slide pins. What are you using for lube? Have you peaked under the caliper boot to see if the caliper is corroded? Can you post photos?
After my second unsuccessful attempt I replaced all slide pin and caliper clips. I lubed everything with crc brake grease.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
After my second unsuccessful attempt I replaced all slide pin and caliper clips. I lubed everything with crc brake grease. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Seems like you've covered all the bases.

The parking brake suggestion is worth looking into.

When you originally replaced the pads, were they evenly worn? Or was one pad more worn than the other?
That could be a caliper piston sticking.
(These aren't jeep, just photos stolen from the internet)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1814344325.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	584741

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1962317627.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	584742
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

I bought my jeep with 40k on it and had to change the rears almost immediately bc they were completely worn. Both equal wear. I will take them apart and and check the emergency brake. I've narrowed it down to the right rear brake. I'm going to give it a little more time to officially break in.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Aggravating brakes