Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Lug nut help.......lost a tire while driving

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you are ok.

A few personal comments. Ive used splined locking lugs from several manufactures over the last 12 years. I believe that the lugs should be torqued to spefications and rechecked at regular intervals much like our trackbar bolts.

In all that time i have never broke a lock key. If you muscle them or use an impact wrench without a torque bar i can see why they would break.

Also remember that you are stretching the wheel stud if not done properly.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fix garage

Dude -

1. That sux big time!
2. Get a glock.
3. Let's put a lift kit on your Garage and get that thing locked up!
4. I have been in the automotive industry a long time, always had a lifted rig with large tires and aftermarket wheels. That being said, never once did the lugs "magically" come loose.
5. Locking lugs with a dozen keys ordered extra?

I hate hearing sh** like this. If there is anyway I can help let me know... my glock hasn't been fired for a year...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

In the worlds of airplanes and automobiles, failure right after a task is usually related to that task.
You had just rotated the tires, and went back to the OEM nuts. I'll bet the problem is more related to that than someone trying to steal the wheels/tires.

Find out if the retainers are still on the lugs, and if they are, see if the aftermarket wheels are counter-bored for them

Here is a picture of what can happen if this isn't payed attention to.
Note the areas of wheel contact with the disc, and the absence of contact on both sides of the lug with the retainer.
It's obvious the retainer was holding the wheel off the disc.
This may not be your problem, but I include it for others to see, and you mentioned you had no visual clues that it would be a problem if the retainers were interfering with the aftermarket wheels.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
In the worlds of airplanes and automobiles, failure right after a task is usually related to that task.
You had just rotated the tires, and went back to the OEM nuts. I'll bet the problem is more related to that than someone trying to steal the wheels/tires.

Find out if the retainers are still on the lugs, and if they are, see if the aftermarket wheels are counter-bored for them

Here is a picture of what can happen if this isn't payed attention to.
Note the areas of wheel contact with the disc, and the absence of contact on both sides of the lug with the retainer.
It's obvious the retainer was holding the wheel off the disc.
This may not be your problem, but I include it for others to see, and you mentioned you had no visual clues that it would be a problem if the retainers were interfering with the aftermarket wheels.
Great pic. I'll double check this tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Sadly it happens. Last year I had someone at my office, I assume try to steal my rims. I was driving to another office when I felt a clunk and heard something break and bounce. I got out and there my passenger front rim was almost off. One stud broke another was bent and the other three were loose. I hobbled to the office tightened down and then went home. When I got home I replaced the studs, I always seem to have a few for that thing, notorious to break them off. Anyway all the lugs were loose but I was thankful I did not loose the rim or was on the highway when it happened. I was actually not far from it and had just gotten off so...yeah I was thankful. Next day locks went on and no more problems. Now I have the jk and I don't have any locks do that is one of the things on my list. Just not sure what to get. Thinking gorillas but still undecided.
Glad your ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Update: drove around 10 miles and checked all of the lugs. Everything was tight. I will continue to check every couple of days to make sure they re still tight. I like to think that giving people the benefit of the doubt is ok, but it looks more like someone tampered with my lugs than anything mechanical failed.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
Update: drove around 10 miles and checked all of the lugs. Everything was tight. I will continue to check every couple of days to make sure they re still tight. I like to think that giving people the benefit of the doubt is ok, but it looks more like someone tampered with my lugs than anything mechanical failed.
Did you look to see if the retainers are on some of the studs, and if they interfere with the wheel?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Not yet. I'm hoping to take everything off Monday. I work 24 hrs at a time and get a day off Monday. I definitely will though. I didn't remove them when I mounted my new tires Sony assume they are still on. There is a chance that the shop took them. Off when it went in for a regear, but a doubt it.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
Not yet. I'm hoping to take everything off Monday. I work 24 hrs at a time and get a day off Monday. I definitely will though. I didn't remove them when I mounted my new tires Sony assume they are still on. There is a chance that the shop took them. Off when it went in for a regear, but a doubt it.

Thanks
Don't let it go too long. If you notice in the picture above, the holes in the disc are elongated, caused by the lack of proper clamping force.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Got it. My drive to work is less than 2 miles, so I'll only drive 4 miles between now and Monday.

thanks

BP

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lug nut help.......lost a tire while driving