Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Lug nut help.......lost a tire while driving

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re:

Did the place who installed your wheels take the retaining clips off the rotors,, they have to be off for aftermarket wheels or your rim won't sit flush against the rotor..they will be cockeyed,,,A friend cracked a set of aluminum rims because of this..
On a side note, I think the studs on the jk's are cr@p, I've ruined 3 so far, but I do change wheels often during the wheeling season..
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPunkin

No garage, too tall. It was probably someone trying to steal my tires. Just odd that 5 stacked rims and tires 5 ft away weren't touched. Not to mention that almost all of the were loose. Like all 20 of them were loose. Someone put some time into trying to get them off. They probably realized they need a bigger jack to get them off.
Guess it's time for locking lug nuts. Seriously if someone did this they are putting lives in jeopardy pulling a stunt like that. It would be extremely ballsy to Jack a large set of wheels and tires out of someones driveway. Hopefully it wasn't somebody that was after you, but with the circumstances that's kind of the way it seems
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 20jk08
Did the place who installed your wheels take the retaining clips off the rotors,, they have to be off for aftermarket wheels or your rim won't sit flush against the rotor..they will be cockeyed,,,A friend cracked a set of aluminum rims because of this..
On a side note, I think the studs on the jk's are cr@p, I've ruined 3 so far, but I do change wheels often during the wheeling season..
How does this retaining ring affect aftermarket wheels and not factory wheels? Curious on the logic behind this.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

Guess it's time for locking lug nuts. Seriously if someone did this they are putting lives in jeopardy pulling a stunt like that. It would be extremely ballsy to Jack a large set of wheels and tires out of someones driveway. Hopefully it wasn't somebody that was after you, but with the circumstances that's kind of the way it seems
Or they loosed all the lugs up and were going to use your other tires to put in place of the ones they were stealing. Then a) they didn't have a tall enough jack or b) someone drove by/ something scared them away. Not that I have stole any rims before but have had a set stolen of my dads car before. They brought wood to place the axles on.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Not sure about the retaining clip. I put the wheels on and haven't seen anything that would leave me to believe that the wheels aren't seating. I agree that theft seems the most likely option, guess it is time for a home protection plan (I just dropped $1300 on a home security system). Time for some fire power.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HMCK20
How does this retaining ring affect aftermarket wheels and not factory wheels? Curious on the logic behind this.
The factory wheels have 5 recesses on the back behind each stud hole so the clips have no effect. Most aftermarket wheels do not.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter
The factory wheels have 5 recesses on the back behind each stud hole so the clips have no effect. Most aftermarket wheels do not.
procomps do not have the recesses so the clips need to be removed.

The only logical explaination is that someone broke all the nuts loose in order to steal them and than couldnt jack the jeep up high enough. Im just glad no one was hurt.

Time to invest in some locking lug nuts
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
procomps do not have the recesses so the clips need to be removed.

The only logical explaination is that someone broke all the nuts loose in order to steal them and than couldnt jack the jeep up high enough. Im just glad no one was hurt.

Time to invest in some locking lug nuts
Your probably right. I just dislike having to carry a lug key. After having one break 300 miles away from home with my 9 month pregnant wife and not being able to trailer the jeep home in a timely fashion I vowed not to use special keys anymore. I know the Pro Comp splines are no good. HAs any one had a bad experience with Gorilla?? I would want black if possible to match the rims. Still pissed about the whole thing.

thanks everyone for the feedback

BP
Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BP it's time to buy that Crossbow with the 6 laser sites and attach those bolts to the ceiling.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Someone messed with your wheel. Dude, seriously, your lucky. Sorry bout the fender!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lug nut help.......lost a tire while driving