Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket lockers

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Well, other lockers in the snow tend to crab...as does LSD, etc.

IE: You tend to plow a bit wider on turns, and, you can slide a bit more to your down hill side, etc....but you tend NOT to get stuck...

In snow, especially deep snow that traps other rigs....once an open diffed tire slips, the other tire stops....as the slipping tire is going faster, and gets all the go go juice.

In the same scenario...the locked diff keeps BOTH tires turning....so if one slips, the other is still moving you, etc.

On MOST lockers, the crabbing and plowing wide is controllable if you know how to drive, and know its going to occur, etc....and you plan for it....EXACTLY like you'd plan to drive on snow with a regular rig and NO locker....you KNOW you'll slip more if the ground is slippery, etc....and drive accordingly.

With an Aussie Locker...their lawyers make them use a std locker admonition about snow/ice....but, with the outside tire able to go faster, just like an open diffed rig, it mitigates the normal locker induced effects.

It will not ELIMINATE locker induced effects, as it DOES keep turning the inboard tire too...but it DOES allow the turned tires to push you in the direction you pointed it better, and plow less, etc.

Interestingly...a front ONLY locked rig tends to crab less, as its typically the REAR END that slips out first when locked anyway....so the problem is worse when the REAR is locked than with the front.

God ur smart
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Drifter Dave... unfortunately that is not an accurate statement. You can hear it in 2wd when turning. I have installed 4 of them so far. 1 YJ, 2 TJs, and 1 JK. And everyone of them clicks when turning. Its just not to loud to be annoying. Also, it will pop from time to time in 2wd. It happens in reverse more frequently.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Drifter Dave... unfortunately that is not an accurate statement. You can hear it in 2wd when turning. I have installed 4 of them so far. 1 YJ, 2 TJs, and 1 JK. And everyone of them clicks when turning. Its just not to loud to be annoying. Also, it will pop from time to time in 2wd. It happens in reverse more frequently.
The only part of the front drive system that is disengaged on jk's is the transfer case unless you get the solid free spin kit.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

The JK's whole front drive line does turn in 2wd. and yes the locker is loud, especially in 2wd. But well worth it off road if you ask me. the popping and clanking sound is the locker allowing the outside tire during a turn to rotate faster then the inside tire. so the locker "ratchets" to allow this.

Just to recap what the locker does:
It allows either tire to spin faster then the torque being applied from the drive-line, but never to spin slower. so one tire would not ever just sit and not spin if you are giving it gas (in 4wd).
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Wow that sucks! I always thought that the vacum disconnect system just ran the front driveshaft. Talk about resistance. Wish that lockout kit was cheaper.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Question

I have a question to add to this thread.

So would it be a sound economical decision to go with a choice such as an aussie up front and also having a stock LSD in the rear?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drifter dave
Wow that sucks! I always thought that the vacum disconnect system just ran the front driveshaft. Talk about resistance. Wish that lockout kit was cheaper.
The JK hubs are unit bearing and the 4x is engaged and disengaged at the tcase so I don't follow you here on the vaccum disconnect.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
I have a question to add to this thread.

So would it be a sound economical decision to go with a choice such as an aussie up front and also having a stock LSD in the rear?
It would be the cheapest way to lock the front if you don't mind some of the above mentioned characteristics.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

so can we see some pics of an install, i would like to understand better with pics?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

Got my Aussie in the mail today, Ill put it in next weekend.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lockers