Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket lockers

Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEEJ
. . .

__________________________________________________ ____________

The No-slip is noisier, and more expensive than the Aussie. It ALLOWS the tires to differentiate, by letting the teeth slip past each other on a turn, (a bit different than POWERING both tires, but making the outer one go faster). Friends with the no-slips were more annoyed by the clicking when offroading (Locked)....on the road, the drivetrain would wind up under tension, and then let go, as on turns, the two sides were going the same speed, and the outer one had further to go, etc...so, on a turn.....the tension builds, then releases with a chirp or whump! or whatever, depending upon the rig...but even though the clicking could be loud, on the road, its less frequent at least compared to off road.

It has more moving parts, and, frankly, the freinds who installed them, had more problems than they thought they would...as in some grenaded (Blew up) etc. I know the company has been working on improving them, but, as they are noisier, more expensive, less reliable, and less maneuverable, there's no real motivation for me to consider one at this point.

. . .

I would expect the Powertrax No-Slip to be quiter than the Powertrax LockRight and the Aussie to be in between the too. I wouldn't expect much difference in the LocRight or TrachTech EZ-Locker.

I have wondered about the reliability of the No-Slip due to the extra-parts, but your description sounds like the LockRight and not the No-Slip.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeeksta
you can search trutrac on the net, they will do a way better job explaining it.
its a limited slip not a locker
i didnt want a locking diff on the front of my swb jeep
its not noticable at all except for the traction
The TrueTrac has gears instead of clutch packs and is similar to the Torsen Gleason. I've heard some engineers argue that these are closer to lockers than LS.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone explain this further? What's the difference between running in 4HI in snow vs. running 4HI offroad?
SV650 Pretty much explained it perfectly. You are going to turn and your rig will keep plowing straight ahead. Like 'extreme understeer'.

This can also occur on wet rock or mud and is remedied by doing a 2 point turn, disconnecting your front axle (if you have a twin stick) or getting out and unlocking a hub. The last two, we can't do unfortunately, without spending a lot of cash.

I have run detroits in the front axle on 2 rigs and selectibles on 3.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats why i got the tru trac, its gear driven, it ddoesnt wear out. lunchbox lockers are fine, just not for me, i was told they eventually wear out, they are just teeth that pop out when there is no power spinning them from the ring and pinion side (they unlock when the axleshafts are spiinig them) but they do wear out.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The Torsen's are very cool, in that they are actually torque reactive, and transfer power to the wheel with RESISTANCE rather than the faster wheel....so, they're MORE locker like in that there's no break a way torque....but, IIRC, the Torsen unpowers the wheel with less resistance, rather than giving all wheels full torque, but turning the outside one faster.

LSD's are actually ALWAYS locked, UNTL they hit their break-a-way torque, and are then open diffs.

If a gear driven locker "wears out", it just typically just needs new springs, not a big deal. You can put new clutch packs in a worn LSD too, etc.

Some people even swap in tighter LSD packs to make the LSD's break away torque higher, so it stays locked longer, etc.

Another trick is to just use LESS LSD additive to the diff, as the additive makes it slip MORE, so, using less, makes it slip less/grip more, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

will i hear the aussie locker when im in 2wd on the highway and when im driving around town turning and such.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes, you will hear the locker. It's not loud and is most audible when turning. Besides, if you have your stereo on loud enough, you won't hear a thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

Just ordered my Aussie locker for the front
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, you will hear the locker. It's not loud and is most audible when turning. Besides, if you have your stereo on loud enough, you won't hear a thing.
Just to clarify for the noobs, you're only going to hear it if its installed in the REAR and it's an auto-locker (always on). In 2wd you are not going to hear a front locker becuase your diff isn't engaged. Apparantly Auzzies are not available for the Rear yet. Make sense?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

someone should do a write up on intatlling this

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lockers