Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Hoods with Ripp

Old 04-08-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Hoods with Ripp

I just pulled the trigger on a Ripp. I currently have an AEV snorkel and it has to go due to a new fender setup I want to do. So I will have to replace my stock hood too.

My question is, all the aftermarket hoods seem to have vents directly in the path where the Ripp and its air filter will be. I'm worried about corrosion and direct water damage.

Anyone have first hand experience with different hoods and a Ripp? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could always run the cold air box for a peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totl and rugged ridge hoods don't have vents where the intake are. You could just buy another stock hood.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

seen a Jk with a RIPP with water damage to the engine because of the vents near the front which stand wide open right above the filter.... the 10A hood and the AEV hood look like trouble.
that said, you could always just block the vents on the hood so that the hood is sealed and still get the look.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rk sport has a jk hood that don't have vents there.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zroe
I just pulled the trigger on a Ripp. I currently have an AEV snorkel and it has to go due to a new fender setup I want to do. So I will have to replace my stock hood too.

My question is, all the aftermarket hoods seem to have vents directly in the path where the Ripp and its air filter will be. I'm worried about corrosion and direct water damage.

Anyone have first hand experience with different hoods and a Ripp? Thanks.
Congratulations on your new RIPP Kit! If you are thinking of running an AEV hood or 10th anniversary, we recommend running a sealed airbox or sealed variant as the supercharger's filter is right out in the open to that hood. This will move the air inlet closer to the headlight in a safer position.

Sealed Air Box for RIPP Supercharged Vehicles
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

^I have this, and works great. I've also noticed ~10% decrease in average intake air temperature after installing it.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Congratulations on your new RIPP Kit! If you are thinking of running an AEV hood or 10th anniversary, we recommend running a sealed airbox or sealed variant as the supercharger's filter is right out in the open to that hood. This will move the air inlet closer to the headlight in a safer position. Sealed Air Box for RIPP Supercharged Vehicles
Thanks for the reply Ripp! Mind if I ask some questions and hijack my own thread?

-That link mentions 2012+. I have a 2011, will it still work? I would assume so.

-Does it rob any power?

-Do I replace the spark plugs during install? If so, a brand that you suggest?

-I think I might order the headers with resonator today too and just noticed you now sell an exhaust too. What vendor makes this for yall. Is their some sound clips of it?

-I had an MBRP, but ditched it for the Dominion exhaust, b/c I liked the note better. Which is yalls closer to you think?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

Our hood doesnt have any vents near the intake and we engineered a channel behind the vents that span the length of our hood to catch water and divert it away from the engine.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Our hood doesnt have any vents near the intake and we engineered a channel behind the vents that span the length of our hood to catch water and divert it away from the engine.
Thanks for the reply TOTL. I was pretty much already sold on your hood anyways.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hoods with Ripp