Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aftermarket head unit!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket head unit!!

I've been searching for a headunit but everywhere I go I'm told that the certain ones that I pickout won't fit or I would have to modify , I hate tampering with stock equipment but the factory player has gotta go I'm an alpine fan anybody got any suggestions on a headunit that fits without cutting or resizing the factory radio mount...doesn't have to be alpine.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is in the wrong forum for starters and should be under the Electrical, Lighting, and Sound Systems forum.

More than likely you're going to need a surround kit to adapt the MOPAR size opening to fit anything you're going to want to run unless it's a double DIN unit.

Alpine makes a couple double DIN's that are pretty good but can get pricey in a hurry when compared to the MyGIG. Alpine's iNA-W900. I don't know if the navigation is built in or an external module. You'd also need an external module for Bluetooth and Sirius/XM radio. But it will support an external HD radio tuner which might be a positive to you.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure any double din aftermarket radio will fit, as well as any regular single din unit with the proper dash kit.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRockWrangler
I'm pretty sure any double din aftermarket radio will fit, as well as any regular single din unit with the proper dash kit.
True. You need a dash kit so the face of the H/U looks right inthe dash.

A Double DIN will fit but you have to make a minor modification. The rear of the stock H/U isn't fully Double DIN in size. It is slightly smaller. To install it securely, Jeep uses a smaller brace in the rear. In order for a Double DIN to fit you have to cut the top of this brace out. Take a look at this post. The cut out part is laying on the drivers seat next to the red tool kit.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=101964&page=4

I know you said you don't like tampering but this is EASY to do once you have the factory H/U out. Once it is cut you can install a Single or Double DIN H/U. That opens your options to just about any H/U on the market.

Quick Reply: aftermarket head unit!!