Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Dana 44 Front Axle Tube Comparison - Stock, Dynatrac and TeraFlex

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CH10
When I got mine even my wife came out to the garage to sit there staring at it.
LOL, yeah - she's thinking what she could have bought with all that money! haha... (ok, well, mine would have!)
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jezzalachis
Looking for a new front axle in the new year for my rig! Take a look at the VISUAL comparison I made for the Mopar Stock (D30/D44), Dynatrac "ProRock 44" and TeraFlex "Tera 44" axle tubes - you can see why aftermarket tubes are stronger than stock tubes.
I will have some better specs on our new axle hopefully monday. Thanks for posting that pic.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho

I have two JK PR 60's in the garage sitting there. I stare a lot.
I'll gladly take them off your hands hope all is well bud, its been a while...
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
It's funny, I can't ell you how many people tell me that the just sat down and stared at their ProRocks when they first got them. I'll admit, I did it too!
Lol I'll second that!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF
I'll gladly take them off your hands hope all is well bud, its been a while...
Back at you! Someday I hope to own my one and not have the opportunity to drive one all the time.
Forgot to tell you I bought a front one recently. Just put it in the garage behind some jackstands, jacks, soft top off the YJ.... the other tires.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our tubing calcs show the 3.25"x.25" tubing to be just slightly stronger (about 2%) than the 3"x .3125"(5/16") but the 3"x.5" tube is nearly 30% stronger than the 3.25"x.25" tubing.

These calcs are for tubing only, not the center housing or end forgings (the 'C').

One benefit of our 3"x1/2" ProRock 44 'Unlimited' housing is the ability to use outer axle tube seals. Since the I.D. of the Unlimited axle tube is the same as factory stock, stock diameter outer axle tube seals can be used to help keep debris out of the tubes.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Last edited by jezzalachis; 10-10-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

would someone with the skills be able to get .25" wall thickness pipe with an I.D. of 2.5" and cut and weld it to the outside of a stock axle house and in turn create somewhat of a pro rock 44 housing with 3" OD with .5" wall thickness. Yes I know that there is more to the PR 44 but wouldn't this increase the strength of the axle tubes.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Auggie
would someone with the skills be able to get .25" wall thickness pipe with an I.D. of 2.5" and cut and weld it to the outside of a stock axle house and in turn create somewhat of a pro rock 44 housing with 3" OD with .5" wall thickness. Yes I know that there is more to the PR 44 but wouldn't this increase the strength of the axle tubes.
Why re-invent the wheel? Several companies are already selling outer shells/sleeves. Some have cutouts to fit around the brackets, some you will need to chop off the brackets and weld them back on. You can even buy and install any of the inner sleeves already on the market. And ca skids. And heavier brackets. And trusses. And by the time you're done, you'll have a housing that is more expensive, and still weaker, than a PR44.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Why re-invent the wheel?
bc sometimes you can make it better ---> http://youtu.be/iOSAQjCbXZE

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Dana 44 Front Axle Tube Comparison - Stock, Dynatrac and TeraFlex