Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Clutch?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Clutch?

SO has anyone been able to free up some of that 202hp by replacing their clutch with something lighter? What aftermarket clutches have people tried? What kind of difference has it made off road?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Really? I dont have ANYONE whos tried this? was it that ridiculous of an idea? Im not super knowledgeable in mechanics, I'll admit, but i assumed SOMEONE has tried to lighten their clutch......
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Aftermarket Clutch?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but a lightened flywheel will rev a little faster but the revs also drop really fast inbetweent shifts. I would think for crawling you would want that rotational mass when going up a steep incline.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Yea it seems to me that most of what ive read on this forum can only make around 10hp after having all three of the popular bolt ons, exhaust, CAI, AND tuner.

IMO it just seemed a logical place to start when you have an engine making 202hp and the drivetrain only allowing 130 hp through it. Seems pretty restricted.

Maybe not necessarily a lighter clutch then.. just a more efficient clutch?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdewade
Yea it seems to me that most of what ive read on this forum can only make around 10hp after having all three of the popular bolt ons, exhaust, CAI, AND tuner.

IMO it just seemed a logical place to start when you have an engine making 202hp and the drivetrain only allowing 130 hp through it. Seems pretty restricted.

Maybe not necessarily a lighter clutch then.. just a more efficient clutch?
There is no horsepower loss through a correctly functioning clutch. If there was that would indicate the clutch was slipping. A clutch that is slipping under full clamping force wouldn't last a day before it completely burned up.

I believe centerforce makes does make an aftermarket clutch. My stock clutch makes a a bad clanking noise. I had it replaced onced under warranty and the new clutch does the same thing. The dealer said they think it's just the design of the springs. So when this clutch wears out I'll probably try the centerforce clutch for that reason.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Call me crazy, but I feel like a stronger clutch might actually be of greater benefit than a weaker one.

I'm under the impression that Chrysler adapted a Power wheels clutch and dropped it into the JK. I'd imagine that I could use the 202 hp more effectively if I had any sort of sensation when the clutch released. As it stands currently, a Geo Metro has more holding power.

Can't wait for an excuse to drop in a Centerforce.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

That's probably the throwout bearing instead of the clutch.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Idriveoverstuff
Not to threadjack but can you describe the conditions that produce this noise? My clutch has been replaced twice for a noise and it's still there. I'd describe it as a squeal/rattle, whenever the clutch is pushed in above 3000 rpms, but sometimes even below that. Sound familiar?

No that's definately the throwout bearing problem that you have. Mine is a clanking noise. I started a poll about the clanking noise a year or two ago which you can find if you search my posts. About 50% of the 6 speed owners have it. It's super easy to reproduce if you have it. Just start the jeep, put it in neutral and rapidly push and release the clutch. If you have it you'll hear, "Clank, clank, clank, clank". It's a little more prominent if you rev it up to 1,500 RPM or so.

When they replaced my clutch it got a little better. It's not as loud and doesn't happen on every shift now like it used to. But on about 15% of the time I push the clutch in, especially when the just was just under a lot of load, I get a loud "CLANK".
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smurfblue
Call me crazy, but I feel like a stronger clutch might actually be of greater benefit than a weaker one.

I'm under the impression that Chrysler adapted a Power wheels clutch and dropped it into the JK. I'd imagine that I could use the 202 hp more effectively if I had any sort of sensation when the clutch released. As it stands currently, a Geo Metro has more holding power.

Can't wait for an excuse to drop in a Centerforce.
I've never experienced any clutch slippage with my foot off the clutch pedal. I'm not sure how a clutch with more holding power would benefit in any way. The clutch either has enough holding power or it doesn't. If it doesn't have enough holding power it will slip under full clamping load and burn itself up very quickly.

The only reason I see to upgrade the clutch is if you add a lot of power. Maybe if you put a supercharger on or something like that.

I had an 11 second subaru WRX. The clutch had enough holding power in stock trim. But when I put a big turbo (and all the supporting modifications) on it the clutch could not hold all the additional torque. Under high loads you could feel the clutch slipping. You also get a bad acrid burning smell. It wasn't long before that clutch was glazed over and useless.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

I guess I can't really articulate my issues with it. What worries me, is that if I can't be coherent on this forum, I wonder how garbled the emails I've already sent out must have been.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch?