Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Automatic Transmission Oil Pans

Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Automatic Transmission Oil Pans

I'm about ready to do a 30K transmission oil/filter change (great write-up, btw, and thanks) and like the idea of putting a drain plug on the transmission pan.

Thus far, I see three options, and would like opinions:

1) Get simple drain plug from local auto parts store and put it on the stock pan after drilling a 1/2" hole (OEM pan is thin metal, but it looks like it would work if you're careful about deburring and maybe adding additional bead of sealant if you're über-fussy.).

2) Rock Krawler aftermarket pan, about $300. Sturdier and includes drain plug.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_1128.htm

3) YourCovers aftermarket pan, about $210. Sturdy and includes drain plug.
ht tp://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php

Anyone have experience with options 2) or 3), or know of additional aftermarket offerings?

I'm leaning towards the YourCovers bare one, and plan to paint it on my own. It seems a bit lower profile, and I'm not crazy about the idea of the filter extension needed on the Rock Krawler model.

Last edited by Moochie; 01-19-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Broke clickable link to non sponsor
Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i've run the RK pan and personally, it's the way to go or, at least in my opinion. more than just having a drain plug, the RK is a heavy duty pan and that will allow you to ditch your skid plate. also, it allows for greater volume and so you can run more fluid. this will help keep things cool longer and allow you to run at steeper angles.

Here's a write-up i did for mine

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ansmission-pan

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

i've run the RK pan and personally, it's the way to go or, at least in my opinion. more than just having a drain plug, the RK is a heavy duty pan and that will allow you to ditch your skid plate. also, it allows for greater volume and so you can run more fluid. this will help keep things cool longer and allow you to run at steeper angles.
Nice write-up, and thanks... your write-up was actually where I first saw the RK model.

Just an FYI, the YourCover's model also allows for 1 to 1.5 quarts additional fluid and has what looks like some sort of finned design on the bottom to allow for extra cooling.

Last edited by Robert K; 01-19-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Robert K
Nice write-up, and thanks... your write-up was actually where I first saw the RK model.

Just an FYI, the YourCover's model also allows for 1 to 1.5 quarts additional fluid and has what looks like some sort of finned design on the bottom to allow for extra cooling.
but, i don't believe it is designed to be used without a skid plate. the RK pan allows you to ditch your skid plate and that alone helps to reduce heat.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
but, i don't believe it is designed to be used without a skid plate. the RK pan allows you to ditch your skid plate and that alone helps to reduce heat.
I believe you're right about retaining the OEM skid plate with the PML/YourCover pan... but to be honest, I'd feel a bit nervous without it.

Granted, the RK pan looks like it could take a pretty good jolt.

ON A SIDE NOTE: the link in my OP to YourCovers keeps getting messed up... is there a gremlin somewhere, or should I not be linking to other sites?

Last edited by Robert K; 01-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I see the RK pan is steel and the YourCovers pan is aluminum. RK sure looks beefy. I'd probably choose that one.

Chris
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

I believe you're right about retaining the OEM skid plate with the PML/YourCover pan... but to be honest, I'd feel a bit nervous without it.

Granted, the RK pan looks like it could take a pretty good jolt.
Assuming you actually hit it, the RK pan is made out of 3/16″ steel and features a bottom that is a 1/4″ thick and it comes with a puncture proof lifetime warranty.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

ON A SIDE NOTE: the link in my OP to YourCovers keeps getting messed up... is there a gremlin somewhere, or should I not be linking to other sites?
Clickable links to non sponsors will be broken by moderators. Take a look at this copy of the FAQ that refers to clikable links.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/faq....aq_userpimping
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Moochie
Clickable links to non sponsors will be broken by moderators. Take a look at this copy of the FAQ that refers to clikable links.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/faq....aq_userpimping
My bad.

I was just trying to make it easier for the next guy by including both links that I found for aftermarket pans... wasn't "pimping" for YourCovers.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

If you ever have any questions the FAQ's have the answers. Nobody said you were pimping.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Automatic Transmission Oil Pans