Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermarket Air Intake Squeal

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Air Intake Squeal

I have been forever chasing a squeal that occurs under light acceleration. I thought it was the clutch or worse but all of those issues have been dealt with. I have an Airaid intake and had heard that the noise might be caused because of this. I reinstalled the factory intake box and the squeal appears to be gone or silenced by the enclosed box. Tomorrow I will remove the factory hose from the box and see if the squeal is coming from the throttle body. Is this another Jeep thing? I do feel a little more power/throttle response and do not want to go back to the factory intake unless there is no fix to this problem. Does anyone else have this problem, it sounds like a high pitched chirp/squeal. Has anyone solved this problem with the aftermarket intakes!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Aftermarket air intakes always squal or whine, it usually sounds rather nice. Not something to worry about
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are other threads on this. Try using the search tool for your manufacturer. (for example: AiRaid)
I know I've seen a thread that addresses the AiRaid whine/howl noises.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Post Yes

You probablly will have to live with the squeal as I am for now. I have tried everything to fix it and nothing works. ...Except reinstalling the OEM air box.

With that said, what I am gonna do is put some removable plugs into the sides ( dirty air side of filter ) of the OEM air box and reinstall it. Want more power? remove the plugs, gotta do a water crossing? put the plugs back in.

The plugs I am gonna use will be something like the oval/rectangle plug that is in the bottom of the jack compartment.

I will post this build once it is complete. Unless somone beats me to it !

BWR
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the removable plug idea!! That got me thinking, perhaps some kind of a sliding door that reasonably seals would be a quicker change over? That squeal (just light throttle) is very irritating and will be even more noticeable with top off time coming soon. I see there is a tsb for the 3.7L jeep engine throttle body, has anyone tried this on the 3.8L Wrangler engine? Has anyone figured out where it is coming from? Here is the description of the tsb.

NUMBER: 09-009-06
GROUP: Engine
DATE: September 09, 2006

SUBJECT:
Intake-to-Throttle Body Joint May Cause A Whistle-Like Sound On 3.7L Engines
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves applying a thin bead of RTV to the intake manifold-to-throttle body joint.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Question Tsb??

I did not know there was a TSB for a intake squeal problem??

Even when my stock intake is installed there is still a faint slight squeal......this TSB may be the fix for both intake squeals!!

Originally Posted by Black Ruby
Thanks for the removable plug idea!! That got me thinking, perhaps some kind of a sliding door that reasonably seals would be a quicker change over? That squeal (just light throttle) is very irritating and will be even more noticeable with top off time coming soon. I see there is a tsb for the 3.7L jeep engine throttle body, has anyone tried this on the 3.8L Wrangler engine? Has anyone figured out where it is coming from? Here is the description of the tsb.

NUMBER: 09-009-06
GROUP: Engine
DATE: September 09, 2006

SUBJECT:
Intake-to-Throttle Body Joint May Cause A Whistle-Like Sound On 3.7L Engines
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves applying a thin bead of RTV to the intake manifold-to-throttle body joint.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josephus
There are other threads on this. Try using the search tool for your manufacturer. (for example: AiRaid)
I know I've seen a thread that addresses the AiRaid whine/howl noises.
There are other threads on everything but people just keep postin away.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Yep

We keep posting away cause NOTHING fixed the squeal ! I have a Rusty's intake tube and an AEM dryflow filter.....got a post for this intake set up??

Yeah I did not think so.

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There are other threads on everything but people just keep postin away.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The tsb I am talking about was not put out for the 3.8 JK engine. It was put out for the 3.7L engine in September 06. I put that info out there to see if this was a similar problem and to see if anyone has looked into this. As for repeating posts I am not sure if there is a post running that deals just with this intake/throttle body noise. It sounds like this noise has caused a lot of people to remove their new intakes and go back to stock. The board members have solved all the problems with the JKs (except maybe the hardtop leak) and I was hoping that between every one we could solve this one!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
We keep posting away cause NOTHING fixed the squeal ! I have a Rusty's intake tube and an AEM dryflow filter.....got a post for this intake set up??

Yeah I did not think so.
Yeah, I gotta post for it. Put the stock air box back on. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Intake Squeal