Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermakret Intake and Throttle Response

Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermakret Intake and Throttle Response

My question is directed to those who have installed any brand of aftermarket intake, i.e. AEM, Airraid, K&N, etc...

From my experience with my 96 XJ, I couldn't really tell the difference in horsepower or torque, other than what I felt based on the seat of my pants feeling. However, I did notice better throttle response compared to the stock intake, as well as somewhat improved mpgs.

So the question is: Those of you with a 2012 JK/JKU (or with drive-by-wire JKs), have any of you noticed a better throttle response? Or does the drive-by-wire negate the claim of better throttle response? How about true mpg increase?

I am considering an aftermarket intake for stock setup, with eventual exhaust upgrade.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a banks cai and am happy with it. Maybe slight gains in mpg. Didnt notice any throttle response gain, but it makes the enine sound fantastic. The sound alone was worth it to me
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Airaid CAI and I didn't really notice a difference in power (they claim 15 hp increase, but on 200 that's not a huge amount to notice). You definitely hear it though, and you know it's getting good flow, cooler air, so that's comforting.

If you want to really feel and notice a difference, I highly recommend a Superchips FlashPaq. They're slightly cheaper on eBay than on Quadratec or 4WheelParts, just make sure you get the right one for your JK. I was amazed at how much more power I had once I ran the 87 Octane profile.

Quick Reply: Aftermakret Intake and Throttle Response