Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aftermaket pulley

Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket pulley

Hey I come from the sports car world and i'm new to the jeep world. I was wondering if anyone makes an aftermarket pulley for the jeep. The ones I'm talking about are the cnc made aircraft grade aluminum so they're much lighter than the stock cast iron pulley and help free up some needed hp.

Last edited by pezeveng319; 10-15-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Those pullys are crap. What kind or sports car world did you come from?

I'm an F-Body vet...I remember those pullys....Ahhhhhhh yes to have horsepower....
Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

I don't think the weight of the pulleys made any difference but the fact that they were underdriven. By driving your accessories slower they put less resistance on the motor thus freeing up some hp.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seal20
Those pullys are crap. What kind or sports car world did you come from?

I'm an F-Body vet...I remember those pullys....Ahhhhhhh yes to have horsepower....
Umm I had the 2003 350z that I modded up. I actually got some decent results from the unorthodox pulley's. I figure it would liven the engine up a little but its not gonna be any vet or 350z. I miss my hp

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
I don't think the weight of the pulleys made any difference but the fact that they were underdriven. By driving your accessories slower they put less resistance on the motor thus freeing up some hp.
Well they make both versions the underdrive and stock diameter pulley's. But I believe the weight reduction was the main hp gains since your decreasing the amount of weight needed to be spun and more power to the wheels. The underdrive property did help too. The main point i wanted was to let the engine rev a little easier especially at lower speeds for wheeling.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pezeveng319
Umm I had the 2003 350z that I modded up. I actually got some decent results from the unorthodox pulley's. I figure it would liven the engine up a little but its not gonna be any vet or 350z. I miss my hp

Well they make both versions the underdrive and stock diameter pulley's. But I believe the weight reduction was the main hp gains since your decreasing the amount of weight needed to be spun and more power to the wheels. The underdrive property did help too. The main point i wanted was to let the engine rev a little easier especially at lower speeds for wheeling.
well i had an 06 350z and still hang out on my350z. Go over there and ask those guys which gives you more horsepower underdrive or lighter weight. You are talking about small amounts of weight. Now add an aluminum flywheel and you will lose around 20 lbs depending on which kind you get. That would definately make your engine rev quicker.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

I'd be interested in this as well! Had not thought about this mod!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

I'd be interested in your results as well. An underdriven pulley should give you more pop. I think the computer is to blame for the sluggish reving & return to idle. This was brought up in some other threads recently.

If you get some positive results out of this, maybe we have flywheel weight to blame instead.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
well i had an 06 350z and still hang out on my350z. Go over there and ask those guys which gives you more horsepower underdrive or lighter weight. You are talking about small amounts of weight. Now add an aluminum flywheel and you will lose around 20 lbs depending on which kind you get. That would definately make your engine rev quicker.
I agree with you that the underdriving properties help with the Hp increase. But the weight reduction helps to and the combination of them both together is what gives the maximum gains. I just remember reading somewhere that the loss in the weight of the pulley is what gave the most gains. I could be wrong however.

Either way I'm looking for a manufacturer that is planning on making this since I think a lot of people will be interested in it.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
I'd be interested in your results as well. An underdriven pulley should give you more pop. I think the computer is to blame for the sluggish reving & return to idle. This was brought up in some other threads recently.

If you get some positive results out of this, maybe we have flywheel weight to blame instead.
I hope the manufacturer that decides to make this makes the underdrive model as well as the stock spec model too. I dont think I would purchase the underdrive model since it will slow down all the accessory components i.e. the alternator, and when your running a winch, lights, on-board air.... you dont want something like that.

I also agree the computer is to blame for the poor reving performance.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking a better idea for a JK would be a heavier flywheel/flexplate and heavier pulleys. This way you have more mass, therefore more usual torque. It would slow the revs down thats for sure but with motocross bikes you can add flywheel weights and it makes them better for riding in the woods...

Quick Reply: Aftermaket pulley