Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

After steering stabilizer installation cant turn left!!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After steering stabilizer installation cant turn left!!

I have tried and tried but can only find info on people who have wheeled and then couldn't turn one way but could fully turn the other way. I just installed a new steering stabilizer, and on completion I noticed I can turn right more then normal, but only an inch or two to the left. I followed teraflex's YouTube installation to a tee. I don't have a clue on what happened and my research skills are tapped. Has this happened to anyone else on here? Any help is appreciated!! -Aaron
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you mark the old position of the OEM stab? Did you also position the new stab to full stroke then tighten the drag link down?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If all you did was install a new steering damper, turning right more than normal may be imagined, because it should turn to the stops on the knuckle, which were not touched during the installation.

Regarding turning left, maybe the new damper is reaching its travel limit, or is defective.

Disconnect it and see if you get full steering again.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If all you did was install a new steering damper, turning right more than normal may be imagined, because it should turn to the stops on the knuckle, which were not touched during the installation.

Regarding turning left, maybe the new damper is reaching its travel limit, or is defective.

Disconnect it and see if you get full steering again.
X2 you can do that.

A steering stab is not a must to have it just makes life easier.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

I did not do any if that as teraflex's video did not state that. I just took the stab off and put the new one on. But I will start from scratch and take it off and and do all of this and see if that helps.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to set the neutral point correctly. It's hitting the end of travel and limiting steering.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Make sure the U bolts attached to the tie rod are nice and tight. If they are not that can cause problems.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Turn wheel all the way to driver then tighten to tie rod.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Yep, turn the wheel all the way to the left. Shock 1/8 or so from full extension and tighten tie rod clamp. Now make sure the shock doesn't over compress the other direction. It shouldn't but worth doing.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

any chance you are using teraflex's high steer setup? the teraflex stabilizer requires a special bracket if used with their high steer setup. i don't know all the details, but it says the bracket moves the mount upwards 2.5 inches and eliminates body and shaft damage. maybe the stabilizer is rubbing on something when you turn left?

Quick Reply: After steering stabilizer installation cant turn left!!