Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

After market upper engine kit

Old 06-10-2022, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After market upper engine kit

Does anyone know of an aftermarket upper engine kit. Heads, cams, lifters, rockers...
I'm talking AFR, Edelbrock, Trickflow... If you have to replace it, you might as well gain some torque, hp, mileage...
Old 06-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Which engine? 3.8or 3.6. For 3.6 the factory stuff is pretty much the same as aftermarket items. Cams have good profiles, intakes good etc etc. What you need to do is things like engine temp reduction (the 3.6 just plain runs too hot), tuning timing and spark control, injector curves etc. That is how this engine can be a lot better as the same engine are in 1500 trucks and cars and they spank the Jeep for performance. To do this you need something like HP Tuners or I think Megasquirt programming or know someone with it. Biggest gain is to get the temps down and prevent the system from pulling the timing at high RPM which you want the timing up there in RPMs. Ever notice a Jeep (my son's PStar anyway) seems to run better just before it is fully warmed up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sixty4x4:
FL_Woody (08-04-2022), RwH (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 04:55 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone out that has done the tuning we're talking about here? Just wondering of any real world experiences?
Old 06-14-2022, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

JKR - the first thing is to find someone with HPTuners (there may be others perhaps WiTech the factory sw) and get the max engine temps down by thermostat and programming. Lots of Jeepers see 220F+ temps on the trail and the road some as high as 230's Too hot it should be 195F max. The lower temps will cause the engine to automatically run more timing in higher RPMs and should learn to give more torque at the bottom end. Then you have to experiment from there. Does not seem like a lot of tuners ever got interested in Jeeps. EG my LT 5.3 in the Jeep is 355HP and can easily be run up to 380 with HP Tuners and no mechanical add ons and it runs at 190F hot or cold days. Lots of Chev mod info out in the HPTuner Forum. With the Jeep you will have to buy 2 credits to write back to the tune and 2016 and laters also need a $295 unlock as well. When my son has the funds to unlock and get credits we will start on his first and I will gladly post the results.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted in wrong thread...

Last edited by LandCruiser96; 08-04-2022 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong link

Quick Reply: After market upper engine kit