Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

After I pulled the trigger on my build-up order, an idea strikes...

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After I pulled the trigger on my build-up order, an idea strikes...

After doing some research here, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered all merchandize (lift kit takes ~3 weeks to be assembled and delivered, so I have some time before any labor is started). The list of stuff is provided below.
And then I thought that if I trade my 2011 Rubicon for 2012 Sport-S (both automatic, 4 doors), it looks like I will get roughly $4-$5K back. Which I can invest in getting Dynastar pro-rock + decent lockers front and rear. So my question to the forum is this: given the planned build below, what benefit does Rubicon have over Sport-S ? The only thing I can think of is the transfer case, but I am not quite sure what exact difference is there. Well, this is my last chance now before all this gear gets installed -is this trade-in exercise worth the hassle ?

Lift kit - Rock Krawler 3.5" X-factor long arm
Gears - 5.13 both axles (full overhaul kits5.13)
Shocks - Bilstein 5100 (quantity: 4)
C Gussets, Axle Sleeves - Teraflex (may change it to EVO due to dust seals, undecided yet)
AEV procal
Bumpers - poison spyder JK Brawler, black powder coat
Bumper - rear + swing tire carrier SmittyBilt SRC
Evap canister skid - Poison Spyder
Bushwaker flat fender flares
Winch Warn 9.5cti
Wheels 17" aluminum (pro-comp 7069 series black) X5
Tires 37" BFG Mudterrains X5
Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your replacing the front axle with a Dynatrac your right only difference is the transfer case. The new engine is supposed to be really sweet. If I had your resources facing your delimma I think I would get 2012. Oh yeah sway bar disconnect, not a big deal.

Last edited by onebadrc; 04-08-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebadrc
Since your replacing the front axle with a Dynatrac your right only difference is the transfer case. The new engine is supposed to be really sweet. If I had your resources facing your delimma I think I would get 2012. Oh yeah sway bar disconnect, not a big deal.
what is the actual technical difference between the two transfer cases ?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

4 to 1 gear reduction compared to 2.7 to 1 = more low end torque for rock crawling.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sempermarc
4 to 1 gear reduction compared to 2.7 to 1 = more low end torque for rock crawling.
so then throwing in this RubiCrawler product will match up for the difference (or even be better that the 4:1 box in original Rubicon setup) ?
http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ary-crawl-box/
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a stock X or Sahara transfer case and the Rubicrawler here are the possible final drive ratios: Stock New Process 231/241 are a 2.72:1 and a 7.40:1

Quick Reply: After I pulled the trigger on my build-up order, an idea strikes...