Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AFE Y pipe help

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikeman71
Many, many, many thanks. I'll ask him to give it a shot in the AM.
Don't thank me yet!!!! You might have just cursed it
If it doesn't work I'll see if I can hop on my bike and take a look at it. Placerville right?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pjohn
Don't thank me yet!!!! You might have just cursed it
If it doesn't work I'll see if I can hop on my bike and take a look at it. Placerville right?
Yes, Placerville. Are you talking bicycle or motorcycle? If bicycle, we should hook up for a ride...I spend many hours on Mormon Emigrant Trail. It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend....65-70 on Saturday.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Motorcycle. The jeep it too expencive to drive up for a short visit.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pjohn
Motorcycle. The jeep it too expencive to drive up for a short visit.
x2 on the exhaust hanger. I had to take it off the first hanger as well. Once that was done it was a piece of cake. I am going to wrap the pipe where goes by the fuel tank and lines. Just waiting for a dry weekend to do it.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Based only on the picture, it looks like it's upside down.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Based only on the picture, it looks like it's upside down.
It's impossible to mount it upside down a section of the pipe would stick out the driver side if nothing was in the way.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the AFE y pipe on my 2012 jk unlimited w/ manual... It was a tight fit all together. Close to the tranny mount and a little tough to get all lined up. I'm not quite happy with the tightness and fit; however it works.

I fit the back end of the pipe into the collector w/ the exhaust hangers undone on the rear. I pushed the cat-back rearward to help fit the new y pipe in.

Then, I manuevered the front connectors and the middle section so everything would line up and bolted the passenger side first. Keep the bolts loose, then put the driverside connector bolts in and forced the pipe upwards until the center of the pipe was aligned correctly (used alot of force) then i tightend the bolts. I then tightened the passengerside bolts and then the center of the new ypipe and lastly the rear collector.

Put the hangers back on and check for clearance, install the heat shields, check bolts, and you should be good to go! lemme know how this all works out!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine didn't line up for a sec so I whacked it real hard with a soft mallet and it popped perfectly in place. Don't know if that helps any but it will at least make you feel better.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

After numerous phone calls between AFE and the mechanic....including pictures sent via email, it was decided this particular Y Pipe was built incorrectly. The jig must have been off.

Luckily I had purchased the Teraflex spacer first and hadn't had a chance to return it....it came in handy and is good to go at full flex.

I've got to say....everyone at the shop was really impressed with the flex of the 3.5 AEV RS lift.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bikeman71
After numerous phone calls between AFE and the mechanic....including pictures sent via email, it was decided this particular Y Pipe was built incorrectly. The jig must have been off.

Luckily I had purchased the Teraflex spacer first and hadn't had a chance to return it....it came in handy and is good to go at full flex.

I've got to say....everyone at the shop was really impressed with the flex of the 3.5 AEV RS lift.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The flex looks great.

So now I wonder if I got a bad pipe too

Quick Reply: AFE Y pipe help