Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aFe Power Stage 2 Intake

Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshey
First cold air intake I have found for the 2012's. Has anyone tried them yet? Also, whats the difference between the three different types of filters?

Pro 5 R
Pro Dry S
Pro Guard 7

Do you think it's worth it to pick up this one? Or hold out for a K&N or something along that line???

I just installed one of these in my '12 Sahara Unlimited a couple weeks ago. So far I am pretty satisfied with the results. Aside from the difference in sound when I jump on the gas, which by the way is worth the money in my opinion, I have noticed a slight increase in my gas mileage. On my normal commute to work, my gas mileage was approx. 13 MPG. I have a lot of stop and go traffic in my commute so it would also regularly drop down to the low 12's. Since my install I have had a steady average MPG of about 15 with a peak of around 18 when the traffic is not too bad and I can sit at a nice cruise without having to stop and accelerate constantly. This is not something to jump up and down about, but I have definitely seen an increase.
In addition to the increase in MPG, I also have to say that the acceleration seems a bit quicker, especially when I'm in 3rd & 4th gear.
The deeper, meaner sound is what I'm really happy with. It is a night and day difference from the stock intake on the new 3.6L's. Right after installing I had to go take a nice little drive around the area, looking for open spots in traffic to really jump on it. The first time that I punched it, I noticed a big difference and was giggling like a school-boy who just peaked in the girl's locker room.

I went with the 5R oiled filter. I did some research and it seems that the Pro Guard 7 provides more filtering, which was ideal for high dust driving, ie deserts, areas with a lot of road construction, and extra-dry condition offroading,etc. However, for more power,the 5R is best. Its really going to depend on your driving habits. I don't mind the extra work of oiling the filter every so often. I used to have a FRAM Air Hog filter on my old Durango that required oiling as well, so I guess I just kinda got used to that being part of my regularly scheduled maintenance.

I've had K&N intake before and I cannot see any major differences in quality. However, since there is a lack of engine upgrades for the new engines, I went with the only thing that was available, yet not disappointed in any way.

Quick Reply: aFe Power Stage 2 Intake