Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aFe Power Stage 2 Intake

Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aFe Power Stage 2 Intake

First cold air intake I have found for the 2012's. Has anyone tried them yet? Also, whats the difference between the three different types of filters?

Pro 5 R
Pro Dry S
Pro Guard 7

Do you think it's worth it to pick up this one? Or hold out for a K&N or something along that line???

Last edited by Yoshey; 01-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Are makes good stuff. I would go with the dry filter so you don't have to fool with oiling it
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! That sounds like a good plan. Now I hear that I should change the exhaust if I'm want to get the full benefit of the CAI... Is this true? I hunt a lot out of my jeep and I absolutely love how quiet my exhaust is. I'd hate to have to upgrade it to some obnoxiously loud thing.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the aFe cat-back exhaust installed. I don't have the CAI, but I'm considering it. The exhaust is louder than stock, but to me it is not overly loud. It has enough growl/rumble to it that you may not like it for quiet offroad hunting.

If you want the full benefit of power, you should get a free flowing exhaust. It won't do you much good adding more air into the engine to produce more power, if you can't exhaust that same amount of air. Your stock exhaust could be a bottleneck that reduces the capability of your CAI getting air in the engine. If you look on aFe's website, they have a dyno run posted that shows their CAI and their exhaust combo adding 12hp/13tq over stock.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm I saw the same dyno test from aFe. I thought they just replaced the CAI, but they used the aFe exhaust and stock filter, then changed it to the CAI... So my results with just the CAI would be much worse... Bummer I thought it was an upgrade... Now is still must be better than just replacing stock filter with a reusable filter like the K&N right?

Then maybe later I can do the exhaust upgrade... Still not sure if the exhaust would help me because I want to do a lift kit soon and I will have to modify the exhaust for increasing the angle of the drive shAft...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yoshey
Hmmm I saw the same dyno test from aFe. I thought they just replaced the CAI, but they used the aFe exhaust and stock filter, then changed it to the CAI... So my results with just the CAI would be much worse... Bummer I thought it was an upgrade... Now is still must be better than just replacing stock filter with a reusable filter like the K&N right?

Then maybe later I can do the exhaust upgrade... Still not sure if the exhaust would help me because I want to do a lift kit soon and I will have to modify the exhaust for increasing the angle of the drive shAft...
I read an email from aFe, posted on another forum, that estimates that you should get about a 6 or 7 hp/tq improvement using their CAI and your stock exhaust. I haven't seen any tests to prove that, so it is just an email response to a question that another forum member asked aFe. The combo CAI/exhaust gives you the full 12/13 hp/tq.

You can still do your lift and use the aFe cat-back exhaust. The exhaust connects at the crossover pipe and you have several options to keep the front driveshaft from hitting the crossover pipe when you do your lift. You can modify the crossover pipe at a muffler shop, use Teraflex's option to move the crossover slightly, or use aFe's y-pipe that relocates the crossover pipe to a new location, so that it doesn't run under the front driveshaft.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-05-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Oh ok, I see. So the catback exhaust goes to the y pipe.. All I'd have to change out really is the catback exhausti could then change the y pipe or w/e I need when I do the lift.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yoshey
Oh ok, I see. So the catback exhaust goes to the y pipe.. All I'd have to change out really is the catback exhausti could then change the y pipe or w/e I need when I do the lift.
Yes, that is correct. You can add the exhaust now and do the lift later, do them both at the same time, or do the exhaust after the lift. It doesn't matter what order you choose because the cat-back won't interfere with the lift. You only have to modify or change the crossover "y-pipe" for the front driveshaft clearance. That needs to be done when you lift it whether you keep your stock exhaust or add the cat-back exhaust.

I'm using the aFe y-pipe and a smaller diameter Coast 1310 front driveshaft for added clearance.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Not a 2012 ('09 here) but I have the following:

CAI: aFe Power Magnum FORCE Intake System; Stage 2 Si Pro 5R
TBS: aFe
Exhaust: aFe Power MACH Force XP Cat-Back Hi-Tuck

And I have to say I am pleased with my choice. I would and have recommended aFe to others
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome! I appreciate the replies! I suppose I will start working on that CAI and exhaust from aFe

Quick Reply: aFe Power Stage 2 Intake