Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AFE Dry air filter vs AFE Oiled air filter

Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE Dry air filter vs AFE Oiled air filter

I ordered, and was charged for, an AFE dry filter from Quadratec, but I received the AFE oiled filter. Just wondering if I should just keep the oiled filter or return it for the dry one. I have no experience with an AFE or K&N oiled type filter, so any help is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harkleroadster
I ordered, and was charged for, an AFE dry filter from Quadratec, but I received the AFE oiled filter. Just wondering if I should just keep the oiled filter or return it for the dry one. I have no experience with an AFE or K&N oiled type filter, so any help is appreciated.
You may have actually ordered the oiled one. It's very misleading on their site......unless they've changed it. They used to BOTH say dry in the title but only one said oiled in the description. I have the dry one by the way and like it a lot. All you have to do is just tap or vacuum it out. I actually felt a difference, too.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You may have actually ordered the oiled one. It's very misleading on their site......unless they've changed it. They used to BOTH say dry in the title but only one said oiled in the description. I have the dry one by the way and like it a lot. All you have to do is just tap or vacuum it out. I actually felt a difference, too.
I was hoping you would reply. I checked the part #'s first thing. I assumed that I ordered wrong....BUT, I actually ordered correctly, even the part #'s on the invoice are correct for the dry filter, the part # on the filter box, however, is for the oiled filter,(The filter is also Yellow, not gray) . Any thoughts on whether I should keep the oiled one or send it back?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Default dry

my opinion always go dry on a jeep

dry filter doesn't pick up as much trail dirt and easier/cheaper to clean since you don't have to buy and apply oil after cleaning
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

love my dryflo.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an AFe oiled filter on my CTD and drive Forest Service Roads pretty well everyday...just invest another $10 and get a Pre-Filter for it. This will help reduce the smaller finer Silt Particles on dirt roads from getting threw the filter as well help keep the actual oiled filter cleaner for longer periods. I have had no issue with dust getting behind my filter into my intake tube of my truck and I have been running this system for 4 years now.

The Pre-filter is great just pull off- smack it a few times, throw into a sink of water and cleaner and let it dry for 10 or 15 minutes and slip back on....With the Pre-filter I have reduced the number of cleanings I would need for my Truck from 6 to 8/year down to 3 or 4/year.

The filter it takes about 5-10 minutes to clean the filter depending on how dirty it is....about 4 or 5 hours to dry the filter good and 2 minutes to spray the oil onto the filter. It does not matter if you use the K&N, Volant, Afe Cleaning kits for the oiled filters...all are the same just different color oil and colored cleaning substance.

If there is a big price difference then I would exchange.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harkleroadster
I was hoping you would reply. I checked the part #'s first thing. I assumed that I ordered wrong....BUT, I actually ordered correctly, even the part #'s on the invoice are correct for the dry filter, the part # on the filter box, however, is for the oiled filter,(The filter is also Yellow, not gray) . Any thoughts on whether I should keep the oiled one or send it back?
I guess it depends on what YOU want. Personally, I don't see a big difference in oiled VS dry. I mean, oil bath air filters are like 75 year old technology, you know? With all of the modern media available today, there's no need to go to all the trouble of an oil type filter. Of course, this is just my personal preference. "I" would send it back and get the dry one.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the dry one and would send back the oiled one if it was sent to me. If I ordered a dry one, I would expect a dry one. I love mine, BTW. Very easy to clean. You could even clean it on the trail if you had to by tapping it on the side. That supposedly will get the filter back up to 80%.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a K&N on mine, and I've been very happy with it, even though it is an oiled filter. I drive in all sorts of environments (dust, mud, dirt, etc) and have never had a problem with an oiled filter. I've never had dirt in my intake and i've never hydrolocked (knock on wood). Granted, I've never run the AFE dry filter, but it seems to me like it would let more debris in than an oiled filter. My advice would be to call quadratec and complain. They sent you the wrong part. Maybe you'll be compensated.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oiled is a little higher priced, but I really think that I would prefer the dry.
according to the aFe site the dry has a 99.2 filtration rate, and the wet has a high 98% rate. the oiled shows to flow slightly more air.
If you send it back, make them pay for shipping both ways. ask them to send you the correct one, and a call tag for the return.

Quick Reply: AFE Dry air filter vs AFE Oiled air filter