Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV's High Steer Kit + FT's Ultimate lift

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV's High Steer Kit + FT's Ultimate lift

Would FT's ultimate 4" lift
(http://www.quadratec.com/products/16064_614X_PG.htm)

benefit from AEV's High Steer kit?
(http://www.quadratec.com/products/16502_4002_07.htm)

I'm trying to choose a good lift kit. Right now the AEV 3.5" (with additional control arms) and the FT ultimate 4" are sitting at the top of my list. Once arms are included in the AEV kit both kits are in a similar price range, and I'm having a hard time trying to decide. Also, does anybody know FT's actual height increase? I know AEV's kit lifts the rear by 3" and the front by 4".
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by titanus

I'm trying to choose a good lift kit. Right now the AEV 3.5" (with additional control arms) and the FT ultimate 4" are sitting at the top of my list. Once arms are included in the AEV kit both kits are in a similar price range, and I'm having a hard time trying to decide. Also, does anybody know FT's actual height increase? I know AEV's kit lifts the rear by 3" and the front by 4".
its should work
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

It will work as long as you use your stock front trackbar or an adj front trackbar that can be adjusted to stock length. I got this info from the Jim at AEV.

I went with the Teraflex high steer because I can use it with the HD forged Teraflex TB, the design is solid and all the feedback has been positive so far. Not to say that the AEV HS isn't any good, but IMO Teraflex is better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	22329

Click image for larger version

Name:	058.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	22330
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
It will work as long as you use your stock front trackbar or an adj front trackbar that can be adjusted to stock length. I got this info from the Jim at AEV.

I went with the Teraflex high steer because I can use it with the HD forged Teraflex TB, the design is solid and all the feedback has been positive so far. Not to say that the AEV HS isn't any good, but IMO Teraflex is better.
I'm not going to say that the Teraflex unit is not stout or well made. But from what I have learned it is exactly bass-ackwards from properly engineered suspension geometry. It lowers the roll center, increases the moment arm between the RC and COG, makes the vehicle less stable and more likely to roll. I spent a bit of time at the Teraflex both trying to get a rational explanation for why they did what they did and nobody could come up with one. It looks like a well executed but flawed design.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by titanus

Let me first say that I have been at the forefront of beating AEV up on various forums over the use of cam bolts in their suspension. However at EJS in Moab last week I went on a ride in 4 dr JK on 35's with the AEV suspension. I am still amazed at how the suspension performed in high speed manuevers on the street and off road. If somebody said a JK could do what this JK did without rolling I'd have said they were on medication. Had you been able to go on the ride I did you would drop consideration of the FT and would have already ordered the AEV. And like I said, I was a doubter.

I was told that their testing revealed that a JK lifted with their kit and on 35's was more stable and less likely to roll than a dead stock JK. I believe it.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

No complaints about my AEV high steer kit... and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the FT lift. Good luck to you!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKBenB
No complaints about my AEV high steer kit... and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the FT lift. Good luck to you!
You know I missed that he had the FT kit and was looking to add the AEV High Steer. My Bad.

At any rate I was sufficiently impressed that I'm going to add the AEV High Steer kit and rear trackbar bracket to my RE lift. Were I starting from scratch I'd get the AEV Premium kit and add Currie or Clayton arms and call it good.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
I'm not going to say that the Teraflex unit is not stout or well made. But from what I have learned it is exactly bass-ackwards from properly engineered suspension geometry. It lowers the roll center, increases the moment arm between the RC and COG, makes the vehicle less stable and more likely to roll. I spent a bit of time at the Teraflex both trying to get a rational explanation for why they did what they did and nobody could come up with one. It looks like a well executed but flawed design.
Good point!

I'm aware of this, but I think that explains the reason why they use a crossbar to add some stabilty since the kit lowers the roll center, but the kit also improves steering by getting the draglink and trackbar as parallel as possible(the point of the high steer kit).

AEV on the other hand raises the roll center, which is suppose to help reduce body roll when cornering, but they don't use a crossbar probably because of this same reason due to the fact that they raise the trackbar on the axel end instead of dropping from the frame end like Teraflex.

Having said all that with my current set up and my alignment dailed in I feel my JK handling better than stock. As a matter of fact it feels safe enough to let my wife drive it. That says alot considering I'm at 5"+ of lift.

I haven't had the oportunity to drive a JK with the AEV HS kit with similar specs as mine so who know I might be wrong.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
Good point!

I'm aware of this, but I think that explains the reason why they use a crossbar to add some stabilty since the kit lowers the roll center, but the kit also improves steering by getting the draglink and trackbar as parallel as possible(the point of the high steer kit).

AEV on the other hand raises the roll center, which is suppose to help reduce body roll when cornering, but they don't use a crossbar probably because of this same reason due to the fact that they raise the trackbar on the axel end instead of dropping from the frame end like Teraflex.
The reason Terflex uses the crossbar is to brace the drop bracket which would otherwise cause the frame to flex and ultimately the frame would crack. It adds weight and complexity while degrading performance. It makes no sense to me unless there is virtue in being different.

The idea is to get the trackbar and drag link parallel AND raise the roll center. TF only does one. If you recall in the early days of JK lifts companies used to drop the frame mount for the rear track bar. They have gone away from that for good reason. TF should update their design.

As to "supposed to help reduce body roll when cornering" you can take it to the bank that there is no "suppose". It works and amazingly well. It works so well that had I not seen it I wouldn't have believed it. I apologize if it sounds like I'm pimping for AEV. I'm not; it's just that I was so impressed with the suspensions performance. Anecdotally one guy, who is a cop, came back from a ride in the JK and said it handled better than his cop car. The only other thing I was as impressed with at EJS was the performance of the JK with a Hemi.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I have to say that your reasoning is sound and makes perfect sense. Man do I feel stupid. I'll be in contact with Teraflex to see if they plan to update the HS design...soon.

Thanks for the great info!

Quick Reply: AEV's High Steer Kit + FT's Ultimate lift