Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV XT 2.5" lift install questions

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV XT 2.5" lift install questions

Just purchased this lift. It is my first foray into jeep mods. I am fairly mechanically minded, but have yet to do anything like this. How difficult would it be to install myself in my garage. I have tools, jacks, jack stands, etc, but is there anything special I should get to do it? How long am I looking at for an install time? Anyone have some experience or pointers they can share? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

I've not done one myself but I've read and learned for the past year or more! Haha...

Shock compressor I've heard makes a world of difference and helps out a ton. Should be able to rent one from a local store.

YouTube is also your friend my friend.

I've read installing a kit can easily be done even for those not mechanically inclined. If you have a problems the manufacture will usually help you out. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge on these forums.

You have a torque wrench too? You'll need one to torque to specs. Also usually you can find someone that lives near you that would be willing to help you out if you post in the right section here. Many people like doing this kind of stuff. Beer, pizza and high 5's go a long way it seems.
><

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.

Last edited by D3ADLY; 02-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

That's good info! I have torque wrenches and most other typical shop/garage stuff, but the shock compressors sound like a great idea.

These forums are awesome. Thank you so much for all the help that I have gotten so far from the geniuses on here. You guys are great!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I did my aev 2.5" with help from my uncle. It's fairly straight forward as long as you follow the instructions. Also be aware of the slack in your brake lines and abs wires. If you have trouble getting the springs in or out jack up the other side. It makes it so much easier. also some rust penetrant is your best friend!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you know where each specific bolt goes, an impact makes things super easy for taking out stubborn bolts and a good set of jacks will get the job done easily
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
I did my aev 2.5" with help from my uncle. It's fairly straight forward as long as you follow the instructions. Also be aware of the slack in your brake lines and abs wires. If you have trouble getting the springs in or out jack up the other side. It makes it so much easier. also some rust penetrant is your best friend!
2x on the abs lines and break lines. I have done around 30 lift kits total (some on xjs ) best advice for a first time is take your time , don't get frustrated , and buy yourself a 6 pack!

Make sure you have 18 and 19 mm wrenches (open and ratchet) and a breaker bar.

Before you even take off your wheels spray it down with PB blaster (that way by the time you get the jack under it and wheels off it will be good to go)

My first time I did one I "borrowed " my ex girlfriend nail polish and color coded the bolts and where they go made reinstalling everything a breeze.

Allow up to 8 hours, something could break, lose a bolt , can't get a bolt off blah blah blah. After you do a few it will become second nature my spacer lift took me about a hour and a half with beer breaks after I found all my tools.

Good luck !
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

You can also use ratchet straps instead if spring compressor just be careful.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Great advice from all! Thanks! Have any of you used the northridge 4x4 hardware kit? Did that help at all? Was it difficult to determine which matched up with the old OEM ones? I picked that kit up, and the AEV geo correction brackets. Gonna ride it for a whole before determining whether I want to get a steering stabilizer too.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With a 2.5" lift, you should not need a spring compressor.

Loosen all upper and lower control arm bolts for the install, and disconnect the front and rear trackbars. Disconnect the swaybar links and shocks. Disconnect the brakeline brackets.

The system can completely droop out this way.

Absolutely do not retighten or retorque any of the trackbar or control arm bolts until the full weight of the vehicle is on the springs in order to insure that the rubber control arm and trackbar bushings are pinched between the brackets in a neutral position. Otherwise, the rubber bushings will be twisted/pre-loaded/binding to the wrong ride height. If the bushings are twisted, it results in premature bushing failure and a jittery ride.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

1 more thing. Go buy some PB Blaster or similar and start spraying the bolts down on parts you'll be removing days in advanced. I heard it really helps make things easier.

Many of us buy the hardware kit and it's highly recommended. I bought one for my lift that's going on next Friday.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.

Last edited by D3ADLY; 02-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: AEV XT 2.5" lift install questions